Thread: LFInfo and Opera

LFInfo and Opera

I realize that Opera is not as popular as Explorer and Firefox, but it has a fair number of desktop/laptop users and has an increasingly high profile as a mobile phone browser.

As someone who connects to the internet via satellite, I have just tried a fairly new Opera function called Opera Turbo, which Opera claims will speed up, via compression, slower connections as needed. Sure enough, it does just that. I am pretty amazed at the impact.

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to log on to this site via Opera - at least I can't do it. Is it possible to correct that? I don't think that the problem is inherent in vBulletin.

As an aside, people who connect to the internet via satellite or dial-up should check this out. The Opera browser is available at opera.com
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Optimizing for browsers....

I seriously doubt if Opera has enough of a following for the vast majority of web sites to write code and optimize for the browser. It's probably enough of a task for most web site developers to have to make sure their sites work with the major players, IE, Firefox and Netscape.

I've used Opera off and on for many years... Mostly off the last few. It's always been fast, but not necessarily intuitive. I don't know what it's like now, but it was a big change to use it from Internet Explorer a few years ago. It's been impressive for speed and light code, but always at the back of the pack.

It's the underdog's underdog in my estimation and not worth the effort to keep up with it's differences. Frankly Firefox changes versions and code far too often for my liking. I often jump back to Internet Explorer, but they too are cranking out changes very fast.

I may look at Opera again, but I feel there will always be a large number of web sites that just won't step up to optimizing for the browser. Most likely forums will be on that list.

Re: LFInfo and Opera

Actually, the only forums that I have problems logging onto via Opera are this one and photo.net. I do follow a couple of other vBulletin forums, and logging in isn't an issue, which is why I suggest that the problem is not inherent in vBulletin.

Beyond that, I don't want to get into a debate about the merits or demerits of Opera or any other browser. I am simply making the observation that, for those of us with satellite or dial-up connections, Opera Turbo appears to significantly improve speed. So my question, to the people who run this site, is whether they can tweak their implementation of vBulletin so that one can log in via Opera.

If they can't, OK. If they can, wonderful.

I have been using Opera for over 10 years and I am using it now. I have never had any problems on this site or photo.net. Not sure why you are having problems, but this site has always worked well for me with Opera. Try clearing your cache, that makes a big difference sometimes.

Blumine
    Opera 10

Works for me. I keep a ... few browsers around. This is Opera 9.54 I'm posting from.

Thanks Blumine, I have cache configured to empty automatically on exit, but when I emptied it now, as you suggested, I was able to log on. Seems to solve the problem. I don't have to do this with other sites, but hey, I'll take it.

I just want to reiterate that those with satellite or dial-up connections might want to check out Opera Turbo. It does seem to work.

Claudio Santambrogio

Opera seems to be caching this forum aggressively - haven't checked why that'd be. Might as well check… Several times I happen to have to reload some of the threads to get newer posts.