Thread: landscape book recommendation

landscape book recommendation

For those of you who enjoy landscape work, I just got a very nice book for embarrassingly little, as a used book from Amazon. It is "The Canadian Rockies" by Craig Richards. Paperback, but the reproductions seem very good to my possibly not very discerning eye. You can see a number of images from the book at

http://www.summitfineart.com/richards.htm

Gregg W

Re: landscape book recommendation

Dear Gregg,

Craig is a long time friend, and in my humble opinion the best silver printer this country has to offer...

Craig's original work is outstanding, and just recently we discussed converting a few of his images to the digital format, because Craig has a minor interest in that avenue. I do not see Craig pursuing any digital process, but his interest happens to be there, simply out of curiosity. As a side note, Craig periodically teams up with Bruce Barnbaum in the Canadian Rockies to give workshops through the Bruce Barnbaum's web site.

That said, an excellent find, and you have a good book in your hands.

jim k

I figured you guys were bros!

LJ Segil

Thanks to your recommendations, Jim and Craig, I have ordered a copy, and look forward to its happy arrival. His website is very compelling.
    Larry

I'm rethinking whether I should have posted my original - what if folks get the book and don't like it?!?

The way I came around to Craig's book is somewhat amusing perhaps. First I was following some thread here about filtering for clouds, and eventually Ken Lee's preference for a yellow/polarizer combination came up. I then went back to Ken's site for the first time in a while, and he had a plug for a Fuji 400 or 450 telephoto lens. I then started googling that lens, and someone said this guy Craig Richards had some shots using one. I then found the site with Craig's work, read about the book, looked it up on Amazon...

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Get a copy of Jack Dykinga's Large Format Landscape Photography, or any of his other outstanding books.

I've got two of them. What I like even better though is a book called Lasting Light, of photography of the Grand Canyon by number of execeelent photographers. (Jack included.)

I also really like a book called Light and the Art of Landscape Photography, by Joe Cornish. Its a little in the style of Adams' Examples, in that there is a little blurb about each photo. It may be the same as another book by him called First Light.