Thread: Can one change Epson 4990’s focus w/ Epson Scan?

Can one change Epson 4990’s focus w/ Epson Scan?

I enjoy using my Epson 4990 with Epson Scan, and I’m curious if the lens responds to one’s choice between “film area guide” vs. “film holder.”

My experiments indicate not – even though the software allows me to make this choice.

But then it occurred to me that the 4990’s DOF may be wide enough to conceal any subtle changes being made.

Or is this option only for the newer Epson models, the v700 v750 (or pro) versions? (If so, what actually changes?)

Re: Can one change Epson 4990’s focus w/ Epson Scan?

Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

(For 4x5, I actually use a homemade mounting station based on Doug Fisher's design.)

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I enjoy using my Epson 4990 with Epson Scan, and I’m curious if the lens responds to one’s choice between “film area guide” vs. “film holder.”

My experiments indicate not – even though the software allows me to make this choice.

But then it occurred to me that the 4990’s DOF may be wide enough to conceal any subtle changes being made.

Or is this option only for the newer Epson models, the v700 v750 (or pro) versions? (If so, what actually changes?)
    Sounds like a good one to experiment with, can you raise and lower your scanning material until it gets just out of focus? Then change the setting. Hopefully you would see a change then- if not you can assume it does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Sounds like a good one to experiment with, can you raise and lower your scanning material until it gets just out of focus? Then change the setting. Hopefully you would see a change then- if not you can assume it does nothing.
    Hi Domaz,

Yes, the experiments I mentioned above suggest there’s no difference, and I suspect that’s the case with the 4990.

However, the Epson 4990 Reference Guide is quite emphatic about choosing either “film area guide” or “film holder” – as if this choice makes an important difference indeed. It says:

“You can scan film that cannot be placed in the film holders or up to 8 x 10 inch film using the film area guide in Professional Mode. When scanning film using the film area guide, always select Film (with Film Area Guide) as the Document Type.”

So that leaves me a little unsure, but the forum's hardware engineers may be able to confirm this, one way or the other. I suspect Epson wrote these instructions to cover the higher models too, and didn’t make certain distinctions.

My homemade 4x5 mounting station is variable (with different shim sets) but not “infinitely variable” (like Doug Fisher’s design). It would be quite interesting to add to my "height options" with an additional focus adjustment.

Have you considered that the placing of the film guide is detected by the software and that is what switches the focus? If you look at the back edge of the film area guide, is the cutout a different size to the reguoar film holder? If so, this could be what triggers the change.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Changing between guide and holder may also affect the movement & coverage of the lamp.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Interesting. I used to scan quite a lot of 8x10 film with a 4990 and both Silverfast Ai and Vuescan. I never bothered to use the guide because you really don't need it to see where the film should be placed, that's obvious just from looking at the glass. It never occurred to me that the guide might serve a function other than to show you where to place the film and if either Silverfast or Vuescan have an option to use or not use a guide I've never noticed it. I've never had a problem with my 8x10 scans (or my 4x5s using the Epson holder), the scans have always seemed to be plenty sharp. Maybe this is something peculiar to using the Epson software?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks for the suggestions above, which inspired a few additional comparisons – including the physical placement of the film area guide on the glass, in lieu of the film holder (and even with it!). And all this combined with various toggles between Epson Scan’s two choices, “film area guide” vs. “film holder.”

The result seems always to be no apparent change in focus point – which, on my particular 4990, is slightly above the glass. That’s where I’ve tried to carefully position my 4x5 film w/ mounting station and shims.

Even though the 4990’s instructions imply otherwise, I don’t think this scanner’s focus is designed to change under any circumstances – unless a wide DOF is masking any small or subtle changes. Perhaps results would be different on the v700 or v750.

The 4990 has only one lens and it is fixed focus. The V7xx has two fixed focus lenses and you can switch between them with the software.

Doug
    ---
    www.Betterscanning.com