Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 color negatives.....and big prints.

Re: 8x10 color negatives.....and big prints.

I assume that by "real print" you mean a print made in a traditional color darkroom. And as I understand it, you're asking whether a digital print from 8x10 color negative film will be superior to a print made from 4x5 color negative film in a traditional color darkroom. I don't know exactly what you have in mind with the word "superior" but to me it means not just detail but also things like better local contrast, color saturation, color balance, etc.

IMHO the answer is unequivocally "yes," but not so much because the digital print is from 8x10 film while the darkroom print is from 4x5 as because any normal size film that's scanned and printed digitally by someone using good equipment and who knows what they're doing will be superior to the same size film printed in a color darkroom unless perhaps the color darkroom worker is well versed in the intricacies of masking. I add that qualification only because I never became involved with masking when I had a color darkroom and so can't speak from experience.

But I've done a fair amount of color darkroom work with negative film and I've done plenty of digital work and to me there just is no comparison between the quality of the prints that can be made with the two methods. In a color darkroom without masking you can make two basic adjustments - exposure and color balance. Once you have those two things right you're pretty well finished. You can sometimes do a very minimal amount of dodging and burning but it's hard to do even that without messing up the color balance in the areas dodged and burned. With digital you can do those basic things very easily and much much more.

Those are of course just my opinions, others might differ, but they are based on extensive experience with 4x5 and 8x10 film and with darkroom and digital printing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

> He's asking if there is a loss in quality in the scanning process that degrades the quality of 8x10 enough to stay with fully analog 4x5 instead.

As other threads have discussed, it is not even clear that scanning degrades an image, when you consider that you can optimize the sharpness in Photoshop. Since scanning 8x10 for a 24x30 print is only a 3x magnification, you are in a sweet spot for even consumer scanners. It would be sharper and with better tone than the analog 4x5 - but you might not be able to notice it without sticking your nose in the print, and no one but you will care.

> Side by side comparisons of 4x5 and 8x10 printed in identical methods will clearly show the increase in resolution from 8x10, all other things being equal.

But all things are seldom equal. DOF will bite you more in 8x10, and when you close down to compensate, diffraction and movement of things like branches and clouds will bite you. Figure you need to shoot at least 500 sheets to moderately comfortable with the camera, and maybe 1000 more to get pretty good. The chances you will do that with 4x5 is a lot higher than with 8x10.

Maybe the best metric would be how many keepers you have at the end of 5 years. I bet the number would higher for 4x5, because most people are going to shoot a lot more images with the 4x5 over the 5 years. OTHO, a major reason to do LF is to mess with the gear, and bigger gear is more fun to mess with.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    [4x5 FULL ANALOG] vs. [8x10 HYBRID]

DIFFERENT printing methods.

I suspect the OP can print 4x5 analog but has no way to print 8x10 analog.
    Yes you should see a difference there if HYBRID means scanned film and non optical printing.

Don

SF Bay Area 94303

Would you rather have an 8X10 computer monitor or a 16x20 one? That is the big difference between the little itty bitty ground glass on a 4X5 and the big beautiful image on the 8X10. Unless you are printing stuff over 16X20 the size of the film is not a big issue. A 4X5 negative gives you 300 GB of image. KFry

Thanks for all the replies...and sorry for not following up. I have been sitting on the side lines trying to figure out what I am am really asking...as many of you were too.

I think that the basic issue is one that many have struggled with and, as has been pointed out, has been hashed over in different forms a few times.

At the root of it, for me, is the underlying distaste I have for all manner of digital printing. Yeah, I know...that is not what most of you want to hear (to put it mildly). I really do not want to argue about wthe merits of digital prints...perhaps, you can just accept that the injet print does not appeal to me aesthetically and let it go at that. Just accept that...as I accept that some folks find fuzzy, out of focus photos aesthetically pleasing....there can be no reckoning for personal taste...if we can get beyond that, I think we may be able to have a discussion instead of an argument (so far, I think that we're doing well in this regard).

OK, so...anyway....I've been shooting 4x5 for a while and have just started shooting 8x10. I want to shoot color negatives (I've done chromes and am not happy with the confining lack of latitude). I can projection print 4x5 B&W and contact print 8x10 B&W. So, here's the rub, I am under the impression that virtually all color prints are now made by scanning the negative and inkjet (or other digital) printing. Which does not appeal to me...so, I'm just kinda whining I guess....Wondering what's the point of shooting 8x10 color film if all I can get is a digital print....which isn't going to look any better to me than a digital print from a 4x5 color neg...because, ultimately, both are digital prints...

Are there any pro labs that will make real color prints from 8x10 color negs???

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Are there any pro labs that will make real color prints from 8x10 color negs???
    Edgar Praus still makes analog C-41 prints. He shoots 8x10 C-41 himself.

http://www.4photolab.com/

I haven't spoken with them, but the Icon lab in Los Angeles might offer C-prints as well. A well know pro shooter here in Orange County recently recommended them to me for C-41 film processing.

http://www.iconla.com/PLcolor_film_services.php

Yes, Edgar and staff do outstanding C41 prints (assuming he is given a decent image to work with). Also has a great lab for processing C41, E6 & B&W.

A great guy that actually shoots 810 regularly (Sinar P).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    Edgar Praus still makes analog C-41 prints. He shoots 8x10 C-41 himself.

http://www.4photolab.com/

I haven't spoken with them, but the Icon lab in Los Angeles might offer C-prints as well. A well know pro shooter here in Orange County recently recommended them to me for C-41 film processing.

http://www.iconla.com/PLcolor_film_services.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fisher View Post
    Yes, Edgar and staff do outstanding C41 prints (assuming he is given a decent image to work with). Also has a great lab for processing C41, E6 & B&W.

A great guy that actually shoots 810 regularly (Sinar P).
    Ah-ha!

This is most excellent news. Thanks guys.

Drew Wiley

Brad - sorry to respond so late, but I've been out on the trail for a few days. I do not
    run a commercial lab, but do process my own RA4 prints up to 30x40. I am also looking
    to install a 40" wide RA4 processor too, but am bogged down with other remodeling
    projects for awhile. I am in the process of hanging a number of large Crystal Archive
    C-prints, but am not really geared up to printing for others, since I do this only seasonally (I also print Ciba, DT, and a lot of b&w, so obviously can't operate all these
    systems at once). I believe C-printing is still available in the Bay area comercially. With
    direct optical enlargements 8x10 holds saturation on prints this size much better than
    4x5, with the color pallate representing that of the film itself, rather than a retranslation into digital options, more of a classic look, I'd say, depending on the
    specific film, paper, and of course, the photographer's sensitivity to the subject. Very
    different than chromes, but also different from the look of Vericolor and the "muddy"
    negatives and papers of the old days.

hacker extraordinaire

At the root of it, for me, is the underlying distaste I have for all manner of digital printing. Yeah, I know...that is not what most of you want to hear (to put it mildly). I really do not want to argue about wthe merits of digital prints...perhaps, you can just accept that the injet print does not appeal to me aesthetically and let it go at that. Just accept that...as I accept that some folks find fuzzy, out of focus photos aesthetically pleasing....there can be no reckoning for personal taste.
    I would like to just chime in with support, letting you know that you are not the only one who maintains an aesthetic preference for photographic prints over digital ones. Although I don't print color I have respect for those that continue to do so. Asserting that digital prints are "better" is to me no less silly than insisting that digital cameras are "better"...and there are plenty of folks who do exactly that, of course.