Thread: Voltage stabilizer

Voltage stabilizer

I am about to seek out a new Voltage stabilizer for my Durst 138, I am only using a 150 watt lamp, any suggestions as to what the best buy would be?

Thank you,

Re: Voltage stabilizer

I would get a Sola CVS transformer rated for about double that figure.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If you are handy with a soldering iron, another low cost possibility is an Omega enlarger power supply. There are a couple you could consider. The first is their Chromegatrol that has a ferro-resonant transformer in it (and a timer circuit) that regulates the voltage (+/- 2%) in a way similar to the Sola transformer. The other kind uses a conventional transformer with an electronic voltage regulator that plugs into it. You will have to butcher the connector that goes to the enlarger from either of these to make it fit for your enlarger but these power supplies can be gotten fairly cheaply on Ebay and once you have adapted it, you can find these quite easily if the one you have dies. Omega made many tens of thousands of enlargers and parts are easy to find. The link below to KBH describes these power supplies. Just be careful if you butcher the connectors, you are dealing with 120 volts and a mistake could be dangerous.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/Images...s/D5sample.pdf

See: http://www.clrwtr.com/PDF/Sola-Hevi-...ansformers.pdf

You'd probably want model number 23-23-125-8. Used would probably be fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Hi Allen. You are printing B&W right? I'd call voltage stabilization for B&W a luxury item. Nice to have but still OK if you don't have it. The Aristo on my Durst has no voltage stabilization, but the power grid in every US Midwest city I have lived in has been pretty steady when I'm exposing.

Since you are using only 150W, you should be able to get a voltage stabilizer for a reasonable price. If you were using a 2000W dichro head, a proper voltage stabilization unit would likely cost some big money.

Otherwise how are things going with your 8x10 setup. You are up and printing, right?

An Aristo is less sensitive to voltage changes than an incandescent light source. But I agree that voltage regulation is less important with BW than color. If you do high contrast printing, though, small changes in output can be significant.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Friday night I made 10 16x20 prints, not one of the exposures was the same as another. My building is a little over a 100 years old and the wiring is spotty, at times I can see the lights flicker, or hear the AC unit slowing down etc. My computers and stereo are fed via a UPS unit with surge protectors etc.

Friday night was worse than average with inconsistency in exposure. I have shot a bunch of new negatives I want to print over the winter, I think it would be a worth while addition to the darkroom in this building.

Peter, the Solo CVS units look very nice, but they are pricey new. Maybe on e-bay.
    I will keep my eyes out for a Chromegtrol unit too, thank you Dave.

IC, I had started with a 250 watt PH213 in the 138s and found it too bright, so I have gone down to a 212 at 150 watts which I find better.

The 184 is still collecting dust in the studio for the moment, it is too tall for the darkroom, even if I poke out the gyp board above it, so I started a reno project that has turned into the reno from hell and drags on and on. I may roll the enlarger out the 3rd floor window before the darkroom is completed the way things are going.
    The enlarger is complete and ready to print with a full set of condensors, a Nega205 and a Grahalon negative carrier, a Mavet holder and Lapfe masks for smaller formats etc, it is in very good condition and a great kit, now if I can manage to remove the condensor head and replace it with a cold light, I would save another 16.5 inches of height.

Soon.....I hope! :--)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Friday night I made 10 16x20 prints, not one of the exposures was the same as another. My building is a little over a 100 years old and the wiring is spotty, at times I can see the lights flicker, or hear the AC unit slowing down etc. My computers and stereo are fed via a UPS unit with surge protectors etc.

Soon.....I hope! :--)
    Depending on the UPS, you have a voltage stabilizer in the UPS you can use until you get a dedicated setup for the enlarger.

--
    Alan