Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My V750 is driving me nuts!!!!

Hopelessly Lost

My V750 is driving me nuts!!!!

Ok, im having some issues with my scanner. Namely, I can't make a sharp scan to save my life as it seems like the scanner is out of whack and not focusing nearly as close as it used to. Secondly, what the hell is going on with these weird artifacts in my image??? They are most always left to right on the frame (scan that the sample is from was rotated and yes, that is a goat's face) and are ruining my scans. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am about to get buried in shot film...

Hollis
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Glenn Mellen

Re: My V750 is driving me nuts!!!!

Don't personally own a 750 but instead a MicroTek M1, but...

You haven't mentioned settings, or for that matter film sizes. Assuming 4"x5" or larger, I might suggest trying different resolution settings (ie: lower) and see if that resolves the issue. On the M1, lines sometimes will show up if I try scanning color transparencies above 2400-res (and occasionally they'll even show up at 2400). However, dropping res down to 2000 or lower these lines never appears.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    Ok, im having some issues with my scanner. Namely, I can't make a sharp scan to save my life as it seems like the scanner is out of whack and not focusing nearly as close as it used to. Secondly, what the hell is going on with these weird artifacts in my image??? They are most always left to right on the frame (scan that the sample is from was rotated and yes, that is a goat's face) and are ruining my scans. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am about to get buried in shot film...
    If the problems have only just started, I would suspect the scanner head has shifted. If it is a new scanner, then you might like to try the Better Scanning mounting station which can adjust to the optimum scanning height.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

I fear for trying another scan when I get mine back from being in transit. I found all sorts of issues with my V700 and it took using the silverfast software and a lot of tweaking to get a good scan when I had it set up.

Hopelessly Lost

Sorry about lack of setting info...

The above is a 100% crop of a 35mm neg at 2400 dpi, no sharpening. This does happen with all my film though, c-41, e-6 and B/W and all sizes, including whole plate (biggest I have scanned). Im wondering if I can send it to epson and tell them where they can put it...
    www.hollisbennett.com

Have you emailed Epson's tech support to ask about these marks yet?

Hopelessly Lost

No that is my next step. I have been busy developing a back log of 30+ rolls of film among other things.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    Have you emailed Epson's tech support to ask about these marks yet?
    Good luck with that. Any time I've ever had to call in to Epson's tech support they are pretty much clueless. I have never walked away with a solution from them - always had to find it later on my own. They seem to read from a script and don't have much knowledge on the higher end products, mainly just the regular "consumer end" stuff. Maybe I just got bad reps, but the two times I've had to call in weren't helpful at all. I'd go with the BetterScanning mounting station myself.

Hopelessly Lost

I haven't looked into the better scanning system - seems much cheaper than the other alternative. Have you used it?
    www.hollisbennett.com

As for settings, at least make sure the scanner is set for the proper lens to be used, ie.
    "Film with Holder" if it is in one of the EPSON holders or mounted off the surface on plex/glass, whatever. If it is set on "FILM WITH AREA GUIDE" it will focus on the platen glass, not the height of the holder, which would make your scan blurry.

As for the artifacts, I've seen that sort of thing when RAM was low, such as when I am multitasking with other applications running at the same time as the scanner. Sometimes, just closing and reopening the scan will make the artifacts disappear. If not, quit your other apps and just run the scanner.

Hope that improves things for you.