Thread: Help a newb with color profiles

Help a newb with color profiles

Hi, I have an Epson 4870 Photo scanner and 2400 printer that have been sitting around for a while collecting dust. I lost the transparency holder for it, but was planning on getting the BetterScanning holder anyway. I've got a pretty marginal Viewsonic VX series now, but wouldn't object to getting a used NEC if calibrating it would be significantly better.

I'm obviously no pro - just enjoying my large format hobby, but wanting to get the best scans and prints on a limited budget. Here are my questions. As you'll be able to tell, I don't know at all what I am doing:

1) I see that I can upgrade to SilverFast Ai IT8 Studio with printer-calibration and multi-exposure. Would this be sufficient? Are there better options? Do I still use the EZColor software that came with the scanner?

2) What's is a decent used monitor that will stand a halfway decent chance of being calibrated? What calibrator would you get, and would this affect anything in question 1?

Edit: I should note that I currently have the basic Silverfast and EZColor software that came with the scanner.

Thank you,
    Tim
    Last edited by pocketfulladoubles; 5-Oct-2009 at 14:24.

Re: Help a newb with color profiles

I have a Dell 2209WA LCD monitor. They are available new from about $290, although occasionally you can get a deal down to about $215. Here's a review: http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-2209wa-339294389.htm It's what I have, and it's fine for photo editing. (I have or have used a wide range of monitors, from high-end Sony CRTs to LaCie and Eizo LCDs.) It profiles easily using a Spyder 3 Elite.

I've never liked Silverfast very much, preferring Epson Scan or Vuescan. I'd start by getting a good monitor and profiling puck and go from there. Start with the scanning software you have, and see what you get. I've heard very good things about the BetterScanning holder.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

It looks like my monitor is a Viewsonic VP191b, and I understand the Eye1 Display2 will calibrate that. I am also looking at a WolfFaust's target, and a BetterScanning holder. It looks like Epson has profiles for their different papers. So, besides those items, am I overlooking anything. I'm not trying to achieve perfect results, just pretty good. If I want perfect, I'll have a pro scan and print it.

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

I would also recommend some (full) version of Photoshop if you don't have one already. You really need the ability to soft-proof your work before you print using View > Proof Setup.
    Pat Herold
    CHROMiX Tech Support
    www.chromix.com

Picked up a Dell 2209WA for $200 out of the Dell outlet, nice monitor, calibrated well.
    I also like the Epson scanner software, but only the Pro section of the software, not sure if the 4870 has that. I have use the Expression 1600, Perfection 4990 and V700, the professional section of the software has adjustments that worked well for scanning film b&w or color, the auto and home sections were almost worthless.
    For printing, most papers have profiles for the 2400, use Photoshop and be sure to turn off color adjustment in the Epson driver.

Tom

Try any of these resources

CHROMiX

CHROMiX

CHROMiX