Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Birch Trees Difficult ?

Re: Are Birch Trees Difficult ?

It also omits Ironwood, which is very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Steve Sherman shared with me his observation that with respect to lighting, dusk - after the sun has set - is when the magic really happens. I stored it in memory, but failed to appreciate the wisdom.

Dear Ken,

The evening light has a two fold purpose for my images, where the sky's soft northern light is overwhelmingly subtle, producing shadows that are truly deep and wondrous, and the wind just happens to die down sufficiently for me to take a long enough exposure between the waves off the mountains without generating too much rustling in the leaves...

The following image happened about 9:30pm during a late summer evening with a few minutes of exposure, where the soft wind would swirl above the tree line and push a few of the sapling's leaves about. I have tried repeatedly to find the Native Indian term for this "Rustling, Whispering Poplar Tree," but to no avail. I was told the name by a Sioux trapper one day while hiking along his trap route, and he mentioned that is how they describe the tree with its quivering leaves in a soft breeze, but unfortunately I did not write it down.

jim k

Untitled, Sibbald Creek, Alberta, Canada, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Here's a scientific chart showing which trees are hardest:
    That's really funny. I need to tape a copy of that on the case of my signature Picker 'foreground hazard' saw.

4x5" Birch tree and bunker - Vreeland, The Netherlands

Cheers, Maurits

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Ken,

The evening light has a two fold purpose for my images, where the sky's soft northern light is overwhelmingly subtle, producing shadows that are truly deep and wondrous, and the wind just happens to die down sufficiently for me to take a long enough exposure between the waves off the mountains without generating too much rustling in the leaves...

The following image happened about 9:30pm during a late summer evening with a few minutes of exposure, where the soft wind would swirl above the tree line and push a few of the sapling's leaves about. I have tried repeatedly to find the Native Indian term for this "Rustling, Whispering Poplar Tree," but to no avail. I was told the name by a Sioux trapper one day while hiking along his trap route, and he mentioned that is how they describe the tree with its quivering leaves in a soft breeze, but unfortunately I did not write it down.

jim k

Untitled, Sibbald Creek, Alberta, Canada, 2006

What a beautiful, lyrical image.

Yes, trees are really a gift, aren't they? We could never have thought them up and designed them and built them, without having been given the idea. Sometimes the best things are just so common.

BTW, those are two lovely images, Maurits and Jim.

LJ Segil

If I can sneak in a small format scene with birches? And no, they aren't the most difficult (in this scene, anyway), at least when it comes to their response to camera gear.
    Dusk, Clear Lake, Hayward WI, Zeiss Ikon Rangefinder, Leitz Summar 50/2.0 at f/2.0, Tri-X.
    Larry

Dear David and Rodney,

Merci...

I hope the posted images ignite and transfer Ken's floral image ability to a stand of Birch trees. The result should be be in line with Mr Sherman's original thoughts.

jim k

Birches are fun, and easy. They have nice colours, interesting bark and odd behaviour, such as their habit of dropping their outermost leaves last, which can give them a mad decorated hedgehog look if you catch them just before that last gust of wind. They are also enthusiastic pioneers (I recently removed one from inside my chimney pot) which can make for some odd juxtapositions if you hang out in liminal territory.

European aspens don't have the white bark of the Ansel school, but they quake nicely, and sucker madly, so clonal stands radiating out from a single big tree are quite common here where farming has lost its intensity.

My most frustrating tree is the alder. It fills an interesting niche in ecology, carpentry and folklore, and it does cute things like turning purple at the very first hint of spring, but thus far I have failed utterly to make a satisfactory image of one.

Wonderful post, Struan!
    And your site is very enjoyable, I had not visited for a while.