Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wildest Petzval Swirl Ever

Re: Wildest Petzval Swirl Ever

Usually the swirl progresses as you get away from the center. Always, really. And then the coverage vignettes. However, I did see pretty wild affects if the rear elements are assembled in the wrong order, as discussed above.

Compare the swirls here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/unreala...ool-868027@N25
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrett...ool-868027@N25
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/djkloss...ool-868027@N25

...and you will see distinct differences between them and the original post. Notice how the swirl is a function of both distance from the lens and distance from the center? (Range and Azimuth from my old Navy days) It is a somewhat subtle effect with the key drivers for swirl being; items with a lot of small contrast/highlights, items towards the outer edges, items in a key area of out of focus beyond the focal point.

Maybe he will chime in as he's a member here: ImSoNegative and just logged in today and posted the image over on the Galli thread.

You can also get some stuff you don't expect, this is a picture of trees taken with a verito:

Last edited by Jeremy Moore; 25-Sep-2009 at 11:12. Reason: Added image.

Claudio Santambrogio

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    You can also get some stuff you don't expect, this is a picture of trees taken with a verito:
    Oh boy, now *that*s wild… How can something like that happen? Anybody could help with an explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by csant View Post
    Oh boy, now *that*s wild… How can something like that happen? Anybody could help with an explanation?
    The swirl is happening in the out of focus areas in front of the in-focus area. If you look deep "into" the image you can see an in-focus tree trunk in the upper right third of the image. The closest branches were less than a foot from the camera while the in-focus tree trunk is about 10 feet away. I also pressed a 9" verito into service on an 8x10 camera further accenting the swirl, as on 4x5 it would have just been right at the edges.

Claudio Santambrogio

Ah, it is the three-dimensional aspect of the tree that makes it - smart. And very nice, very disorienting…

I looked at all of this fellows petzval shots over at APUG and am quite convinced they are un tampered with. The one of the cat on the porch rail, he mentions the name of the lens and shows a picture of it. It's only a 4" lens so the fact that it somehow has illumination over most of a 4X5 area explains why it gets so weird. Could also be a reversed element in the rear like several have said.

You were right Jim, I heard from the photog, he says the lens appears correct, and just shoots that way. Strange and interesting.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Wow all this about me lol, I assure you that doubt that this is a straight from the camera shot. hey jim it was your great posts that got me interested in these old brass lenses. I really enjoy your work. Im going to shoot a portrait with it monday looking forward to seeing the results. hey goamules i really enjoy the group over at flickr. here is another with the lens
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    Wow all this about me lol, I assure you that doubt that this is a straight from the camera shot. hey jim it was your great posts that got me interested in these old brass lenses. I really enjoy your work. Im going to shoot a portrait with it monday looking forward to seeing the results. hey goamules i really enjoy the group over at flickr. here is another with the lens
    Great sense of depth to that image. I've been enjoying the toys from Jim as well!