Thread: Color meter or just other film?

Color meter or just other film?

I have been taking pictures for 4 years and from time to time I ask myself this question Color meter or other film?. When I am shooting a subject which is whi te on white I get a blue cast which bathers me, because it seems to be that if I shoot a little lighter the image will be over exposed, but the cast is always t here. My film is kodak EPN, my lighting is multiblitz, and my lenses are fujinon f8/400mm, sironar-N f5.6/210mm and grandagon f4.5/90mm. Any help will be greatl y appreciated. Sergio

Your problem sounds as if it is coming from your strobes. A color temp meter wou ld tell you for sure, but another way to tell if this is a film (film and proces sing) problem or a lightsource problem would be so shoot the same subject outdoo rs in direct sunlight near the middle of the day and again under the strobes. Sh oot at least three different pairs of tests and have three different labs proces s.

It really doesn't matter why you're getting the blue cast. (Yes, it's probably your strobes.) The point is, you're getting it. So to get rid of it, a little warming filtration is necessary. Shooting with a CC10Y or CC10R would be a good place to start. I must stress that photography is a matter of trial and error. Everybody's systemthat is, from original light source to final viewing light and EVERYTHING in betweenis different. You must make tests and adjust your system until it gives you what you want to get. I have been doing photography for 37 years and every shot I make is still an experiment.

Are your flash tubes UV coated?? UV light causes a blue/cyan cast to transparancy material which no color meter will register. This is most apparent in whites and highlights. Minolta (Scientific) does make several UV reading meters..but they aren't calibrated for photographic purposes and are VERY expensive. I use a (heavy) UV filtration on my lens always..2C, 2B..( no exposure compensation required)in addition, on my older Balcars I put UV absorbing material over the heads. Rosco makes several types of gel mtl which absorbs different amts of UV. You can also get similar material from other sources..one of which is Chemplast. Edmund Scientific also markets UV absorbing material..although I haven't tried this personally. ALSO..if you are bouncing the light..different types of white surfaces..paint, umbrellas, foamcore, etc not only sometimes have a slight bluish cast..some of them actually can emit UV. "White" is a relative term.