Thread: 4500-II, what replacement bulb to use?

4500-II, what replacement bulb to use?

My 4500-II just blew a gasket, and I need to replace the halogen bulb. The bulb that was in the enlarger was an ESJ 85W 82V. I don't have the manual for the e nlarger, but looking on bhphoto under the description of the 4500-II indicates t hat an EYA 200W 82V bulb comes with the enlarger.

What should i get? Are their any advantages to getting the 200W bulb, other tha n the obvious brightness difference? Could I put in a 120V bulb and expect it t o work properly? I've read that higher voltage bulbs may not last as long, sinc e they chew up tunsten a bit faster than the lower voltage bulbs....

I'm very interested in seeing what the manual has to say, so if someone has one. ...

BTW, does anyone have a contact address for Saunders? I'd really like to get a copy of the manual.

Thanks!

-klm.

The manual says "Quarts Halogen Lamp 200W (24V or 82V) w/ dichroic mirror". That's right - "quarts"! I would think that an 85W bulb would make for l-o-n-g exposures. You can reach Saunders at http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/saund_lpl.htm

I think the enlarger has different bulbs (and power supplies) based on the country where the enlarger was to be sold. Be sure to give that info to Saunders when you contact them.

By the way, here's a plug for Saunders: their customer service has been excellent whenever I've dealt with them.

Dave Karp

Ken,

My 4500-II has a transformer to take line voltage to lower voltage. I assume that yours is the same. If that is true, don't use a 120V lamp. Even if it works, the lower voltage will most likely alter the color temperature of the light output. This could possibly impact on your printing, and the paper's response to the light. I would use the lamp that Saunders specifies. By the way, I also think that their service is excellent.