Thread: Info Needed - Beseler 8x10 Glass Carrier

Info Needed - Beseler 8x10 Glass Carrier

Could anyone post a picture or describe what the glass 8x10 carrier looks like for the Beseler 8x10 head on a 45V-XL (or the 45MXT 8x10 head which should be the same)? I have the enlarger and the glass carrier that came with it is put together with black masking tape - somehow I don't think this is the original design.

Re: Info Needed - Beseler 8x10 Glass Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by R Mann View Post
    ...somehow I don't think this is the original design.
    I don't know what the four small pieces of black tape are, but it otherwise looks like the one that came with my (brand new) conversion kit from Beseler. Plain glass on bottom, translucent acrylic on top, joined with a strip of tape. Simple but functional.

The little black things are tape pieces also - handles? Interesting that it uses a tape hinge, I was expecting something made of metal. Thanks -

The long piece of tape is the "handle." The smaller pieces of tape are probably things that the original owner placed as guides for aligning the negative. The carrier is larger than 8x10 so you might want to mask the borders to limit light "leaks." The frosted acrylic diffuser is the top of the sandwich. The sandwich slides into the carrier slot in the top position. If you have the Negaflat 8x10 carrier, then it slides into the bottom slot (I think) below the frosted acrylic diffuser. The glass carrier that you show is the bottom piece and could be masked for 5x7, 4x5, etc.

I discovered that scratches on the diffuser would appear in prints. So I removed the glass and use the diffuser in the upper slot, under Roscoe filters. In the lower slot I use a double glass holder, taped as the original design concept. Glass from the local windoworks

Quote Originally Posted by EdWorkman View Post
    I discovered that scratches on the diffuser would appear in prints. So I removed the glass and use the diffuser in the upper slot, under Roscoe filters. In the lower slot I use a double glass holder, taped as the original design concept. Glass from the local windoworks
    This seems like a very good idea - any problem with newton rings?

Eric Biggerstaff

That looks like the Dodge / Burn Masking Negative carrier that Alan Ross uses and has written about. I made one just like it for my LPL. The 4 tape pieces hold the paper mask that the neg sits in. The diffusion goes down and and the glass up. The DB mask goes on top of the glass.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by EdWorkman View Post
    Which Roscoe filters do you use and why?

I picked up a 20cc and 30cc green which I have not been able to use yet but I heard those filters make it easier to use VC filters with my bulb.