Thread: Overhead projector for viewing slides?

Overhead projector for viewing slides?

hello folks, just wondering... is anyone using an ovehead projector like this one to see color slides on a wall?

pros and cons in your opinion?

thks
    andre

Preston Birdwell

Re: Overhead projector for viewing slides?

Older overhead projectors that use a halogen/tungsten projection lamp will cause the glass to get pretty hot. I'm not sure if it would get hot enough to damage film, but I wouldn't risk it with my film.

Newer projectors that use a fluorescent light source would be cooler, but the color temperature may be an issue, unless it was daylight balanced.

If you decide to use a projector, you'll need to have a holder/mask that keeps the film flat and eliminates the unwanted light.

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

If you are talking about large format transparencies, I would think this would work well enough. However, 35mm "slides" wouldn't be very big in the projection, and 35mm slide projectors are not that expensive on the used market (at least in the USA).

I am planning to look 4x5 and 8x10 transparencies on it.

Any hint on a particular model?

Andre

I bet you can get those a dime-a-dozen 2nd hand now that nobody uses those things. Don't expect any old school cred for using one, they are codger material.

I'd make sure you get one that has a cooling fan, some don't. Then I'd make a hood to go between the mirror and the glass, sort of like bellows for your camera to keep the contrast up.

hello from France !
    A friend of mine who had experienced a home-made B&W reversal processing from 8x10" negatives has acquired a new Kindermann overhead projector at a good price to project them. It is really spectacular !

I suggested him to make a slide holder about 1 cm thick in order that the rings of the Fresnel lens are kept out of focus. Doing so, this will help fresh air to circulate under the transparency as well.
    However with B&W slides you have no risk of fading due to heat or exposure to residual UV light.
    So you can go for a classical overhead projector, simply prepare a slide holder allowing air to circulate underneath and check that the focusing rack can be offset by about 1 cm in order to keep the Fresnel rings out of focus.
    The "1 cm of offset" trick is not applicable to some kinds of compact projectors operating in reflective mode with the light bulb located above, close to the lens ; under the transparency there is a mirror and a Fresnel lens. In this kind of projector, you cannot offset the slide from the Fresnel lens otherwise the image appears double.
    hence, simply choose a classical one with light bulbs underneath working in transmission, the most common ones, that are probably dumped by administrations and schools today due to the modern "mandatory" electronic presentation with a video projector !

Merci Emmanuel,

can you share some more details on black and white projection?

Andre