Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes you an Artist rather than a Photographer

What makes you an Artist rather than a Photographer

At what point do you become and Artist rather than a photographer or maybe a fine art photographer rather than a photographer?

I ask because I see so many web sites where people call themselves "Fine Art Photographers" but when I look at the work on show I see largely "landscape photography", "documentary photography" and also what I think is really "photo journalism" or "Photo Essay". Rarely do I see what I would consider art photos with the exception of a smattering of abstracts.

Why don't these photographers call themselves Lanscape Photographers or Documentary Photographers or Photo Journalists or Photo Essayist? Why do they wan't to label themselves Artists? Is it just because everyone else does? Is it because they think calling themselves Artist makes their work more valuable? Is it ego? Or is it just my perception of what an Artist is or does is different from these photographers.

Re: What makes you an Artist rather than a Photographer

One word - Google.

Why can't someone be both? Why should it matter-or bother others?

A person could call themselves human identify themselves with their gender. Does that make a real difference?

I'm of Japanese ancestry. If someone came up to me and asked me (which happens often enough), what are you?

I can reply: a human, an American, a Coloradoan, a Japanese American, a teacher, a photographer, an artist, etc.

It doesn't change anything about who I am. They all are true, it just helps maybe explain part of me and what I do.

"I are one."
    Actually, we all know an artist when we see one, no matter the trade.
    What is amazing are the people who buy a digitial camera and suddenly become
    "Wedding Photographer", "Portrait Photographer", "Commercial Photographer", etc.

John I think someone can be both.

What I think percepts might be asking though is "Within photography, at what point does someone move past being a reporter and become an artist?"

I think that as soon as someone purposefully arranges or distorts the elements in the scene they are creating art.

When I pose people for a shot I am creating something that would not normally exist in nature, I think that qualifies as art. (Good or bad art is a separate question )

If I sandwich two slides or negs, or I make double, triple or quadruple exposures I'm probably creating art.

Reporting and landscape shooting, in contrast, do not normally change the content. Reporting can use artistic rules like the rule of thirds to create beautiful photos, photos that I might even hang on my wall, but for me they are more a window on my world than art.

IMO, if you are making photographs for the pupose of creating things that would hang on a wall or maybe fill a portfolio box as opposed to serve some marketing or journalistic purpose, then you are making art. Whether it's good or not, might be another topic, but if the ultimate purpose is as an expression of your emotional response to a subject for people to view and enjoy, it's art. This is not to say that photographs made for the purpose of advertizing or journalism couldn't alternately be considered as art in a different viewing context. I think of a wonderful photograph of a speeding Karmann Ghia that appeared in a VW ad back in the 1960's as a perfect example. It was an ad first, but art after the fact.

When I got my BFA

Michael Alpert

Artists who use paint are called Painters. Artists who sculpt with stone or other materials are called Sculptors. Writers who compose poems are called Poets. Writers who create novels are called Novelists. Musicians who use pianos are called Pianists. Artists who act on a stage or in film are called Actors. Artists who use photographic materials are called ________. Becoming an artist involves the same arduous cognitive path in all of these fields, with differences involving the specific use of differing materials. You are not going to find the answer to your question--"What is an artist?"--on the Internet.

joseph

Artists?

I don't think anyone has the right to name themself an artist - this is done by others. Graduating from art school or getting a BFA or MFA does not make one an artist just as getting an EdD does not make one a teacher.