Thread: AZO Aging

AZO Aging

Hi fellows,

I just found two boxes of AZO on my father in law's lab. They are probably outdated, but have no idea how old they are.

How old can they be before aging effects really show? (they are at room temp)

Where can I find advise on how to print properly on this paper, preferably using dektol or ilford paper developer and an enlarger?

Thanks in advance...

Enrique.-

AZO Aging

Azo is contact printing paper - enlarging is impractical, although many people use an enlarger as a light source for the contact printing. Azo is great stuff - has a reputation for keeping extrememly well. So, even if it is outdated, it should work well. You might want to add some bromide if you find the highlights fogged. See www.michaelandpaula.com for chapter and verse on this unique paper. Cheers, DJ.

AZO Aging

The same reason that dis-allows enlarger use allows for VERY long storage life. I've heard of a 1949 batch tested well and used. Do the standard test. Tear a sheet in half, put half in dektol and finish as normal, the other half stright into fixer. After wash and dry, compare both. Any fogging will be apparent.

AZO Aging

Azo has extremely good keeping qualities, even when stored at room temperature. As was mentioned, it is a single weight silver chloride contact printing paper, well respected for its extended tonal range. It prints very well with amidol, as well as with other developers like dektol. For good information on Azo, check out this website: <http://www.michaelandpaula.com/> and follow the links to the articles.

AZO Aging

Azo also looks nice in Agfa Neutol WA (I prefer it to Dektol).

AZO Aging

As has been stated, Azo will keep for a long time. If the box has not been opened and the paper is still in its inner wrapper, we will trade you brand new Azo for what you have. We are Azo dealers now. See our web site: www.michaelandpaula.com under "Writings" for articles on printing with Azo. And look under "Azo" for current availability and prices.

Michael A. Smith