Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole Plate Options and Suggestions

Whole Plate Options and Suggestions

I'm considering a whole plate (6.5 x 8.5) camera. One of the reasons I am considering WP is weight and portability. I am working on a project that requires frequent travel to a remote location and I end up having to ship stuff ahead for the 8x10 and it is real pain not to mention worrying about loss or breakage. I have been taking a 5x7 on some trips but for some subjects I just feel the prints are too small.

I have cruised all the various forums and it seems there are three cameras out there (new anyway). The Chamonix, Ebony and Argentum. The only one of these camera makers whose products I have any experience with is Ebony which is too heavy anyway (see above). There's lots of stuff from Chamonix users but very little out there on the Argentum. So what I am wondering is:

- Are there any options I am missing other than used?

- Any Argentum users and/or purchasers out there, not just WP but in any format?

- Any advice regarding WP?

Yes, I have contacted Chamonix and Argentum.

Thanks!

Henry

Re: Whole Plate Options and Suggestions

Try Gandolfi -- they're bulletproof, very light, and the need the business. When I hit the lottery....
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

How about a nice Kay Cee #3? I have one I can sell.

wfwhitaker

I assume you're contact printing only and enlarging is out of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    I assume you're contact printing only and enlarging is out of the question?
    Yes, that is correct. I've been working on this project for a while making only contact prints and I want to keep it consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Try Gandolfi -- they're bulletproof, very light, and the need the business. When I hit the lottery....
    Thanks for the tip. I sent them an email but you lottery comment has me a bit worried about what I may hear back from them!

Between here and there

I am using an Argentum 5x7" so I can't tell you anything about the WP cameras, but I am very happy with my camera, the buying and after sales experience. Wholeplate is a really cool format!

Smile Re: Whole Plate Options and Suggestions

I use an old Charten whole plate camera. The problem with older whole plate cameras is that the holders you can obtain today may not fit or may not be of the standard type. I have taken part of my whole plate kit on a plane in a laptop bag.

You can also find Century whole plate cameras which will accept the modern Chamonix holders, although I have found that these holders give a full frame only in the portrait position due to the bellows on the camera. In the landscape orientation, I lose approx. 1/4 inch.

I have seen the Chamonix, though do not own one. For me, the operation of the controls of that camera do not fit my style of shooting. I played around with one at the Foto 3 Conference last year and simply didn't get along with them.

I believe that Canham would make a whole plate camera, a back/bellows combination or a reducing back for 8x10 to whole plate, but they would need a holder and it would take some time to do this, so it is not an immediate option.

I believe I saw that someone was selling a Gandolfi whole plate camera somewhere. See here:

http://www.quietlight.co.uk/2009/09/gan ... 65x85.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bzbPLpQuWJ...h/_DSC0019.jpg

You might try posting your question to the British Whole Plate Forum, at http://wholeplate.co.uk/forum/index.php. It's just getting started at this URL, so it does not seem too active, but there are some participants.

Diane -

Thanks for the great info. I had a Charten 5x7 at one point. The smallest 5x7 I have ever seen but it lacked front swing which I am finding many of the older WP cameras also lack. I am aware of the holder situation. The Chamonix is one that I am considering. I have a Shen Hao 5x7 (bought on this forum). It has characteristics similar to the Chamonix and I had a little trouble getting used to the focus knob on the rear and having to reposition the front every time I open it but eventually got used to it. It is just so light and I love that aspect. I contacted the Gandolfi owner . . . no front swing. Too bad!

R A -

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that!