Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Print Prices for Online Sales

Re: Print Prices for Online Sales

Also, according to one of the various online inflation calculators, a print that sold for $25 in 1955 would sell for $177 today, taking 708% inflation since that date into account.

This is just a broad generalization, as many things have risen far more in the same amount of time, take movie tickets for example, which sometimes seem to move that much between movies ;-)

And another thing... ;-)

Didn't Edward Weston purposely keep his prints at $25 as part of his feeling for a democratic ownership of fine-art photographs?

Merg, what were other photographers selling their prints for in 1955? What was Edward's philosophy a reaction against back then?

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    And another thing... ;-)

Didn't Edward Weston purposely keep his prints at $25 as part of his feeling for a democratic ownership of fine-art photographs?

Merg, what were other photographers selling their prints for in 1955? What was Edward's philosophy a reaction against back then?
    Hi Paul,

It was really a case of the market, when Edward Weston was selling his prints for $25. In 1952 when his 50th Anniversary Portfolio was offered for $100, sales were slow. It contained 12 prints for $100. Although printed by Brett, that is still about $8 per print. Brett said that when they raised the price to $200, sales dried up, and they went back to the $100 figure. In the mid 1970's that same portfolio was selling for over $8,000. In 1951 when Brett produced his Special Edition Prints, they were marketed at $6 each, including postage.

The Weston's, by their own admission, were poor at marketing. Ansel, on the other hand was skilled at marketing, although as late as 1968 was selling his 11x14 prints for only $100, and 16x20 prints for $150. That same year, Brett was selling his 8x10 Garrapata Beach photograph for $35. I was in a 1961 National Competition Photography Exhibition where Paul Caponigro was high man at $50 per print, with Don Worth at $35, and Jerry Uelsmann and myself at $15.

So, it is safe to say that the real explosion in print prices occured late in the 1970's and into the 1980's. Edward died with $300 in the bank.

Also, according to one of the various online inflation calculators, a print that sold for $25 in 1955 would sell for $177 today, taking 708% inflation since that date into account.

This is just a broad generalization, as many things have risen far more in the same amount of time, take movie tickets for example, which sometimes seem to move that much between movies ;-)
    I like to think of Charis Weston stating her concern over the 36 cents a sheet for 8x10 film in 1936 which today would make it 8.67 a sheet by the inflation calculator. And I complain at 3 something a sheet.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Merg. I hate to see personal experiences like yours lost to time.

All the best,

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Hey maybe I could get an advance from the Art Capital Group in NYC, Annie Leibovitz's benefactors?
    You have the right idea...something on the order of a reverse mortgage. Structured payments based on the expectations of the eventual true value. You are really quite the diamond in the rough...Those unappreciative oafs will live to see the day they regret missing the boat by not buying your work now.

Ya know, with Don, it's so hard to tell if he's pulling your leg or serious!

And another thing... ;-)

Prior to Ansel, there wasn't a photo art market per se. It was really rare to find photos in galleries prior to the 60's. The idea of photos being collectable or resold had not materialized in the culture at large. Comparisons to an era when there would be collectors would have limited value being quite different circumstances. You could buy the work of all of the great photogs in that era for what seems like nothing now. Someone like Atget couldn't give his work away.
    Its kind of crazy to look to print sales for any kind of reliable income now, but then it was really crazy.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I like to think of Charis Weston stating her concern over the 36 cents a sheet for 8x10 film in 1936 which today would make it 8.67 a sheet by the inflation calculator. And I complain at 3 something a sheet.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Merg. I hate to see personal experiences like yours lost to time.

All the best,
    In 1985, I saw Avedon lecture in Dallas about his "In the American West" project, which was funded by the Amon Carter Museum. He mentioned the need for funding for a project like that, and uttered the words I'll never forget: "8x10 film is expensive."

Kinda made me laugh. Avedon was a wealthy man!

Start with a price that feels comfortable to you. If it works well, slowly raise your pricing for new prints, and keep doing so until you just pass the apex of the Profit*Quantity curve, and then back off just a nudge.