Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink Prices

Ink Prices

I don't do any digital work but I was curious and checking out the current Epson printers. I was impressed that the ink costs ~$500 per liter. I know it varies, but about how many 8x10 prints would that account for?

I was looking at a 17 inch wide printer and even that was almost $3000 and it looks like they come out with a new one every few months. What is the reasonable life span of an ink jet printer before improvements make an upgrade necessary? Every year, every 5 years?

Re: Ink Prices

The Epson 3800 printer, a 17" printer, is available for about $900. It has 80ml cartridges, much bigger than the smaller models. The professional models, generally 24" and wider, can last for 5 years or more with occasional maintenance. Everything depends on usage. 24" printers like a 7880 or a Canon 6200 can regularly be had for about $2000.

Inkjet printers need to be used regularly. If they aren't, heads clog, pigment settles, and generally there's a great wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    it looks like they come out with a new one every few months.
    I'll note that the Epson 3800 came out about three years ago. Since its successor, the 3880, was just announced that's a pretty reasonable lifespan. Epson has been in a recent spate of printer upgrades, but that seems to have been a staggered release of new models across the pro lineup.

What is the reasonable life span of an ink jet printer before improvements make an upgrade necessary? Every year, every 5 years?
    Epson's print quality is fine, but their construction quality is quite poor. There are high-end printers that are built much better if and when you are interested in purchasing something that doesn't need to be replace quite so often.

Also, there are other options to get one's ink. Cone's color ink is $123 per liter in bulk. I think there are even less expensive options, if one wants to give up a little here and there - or maybe not.

Just like anything, one has to research things a bit. To make good choices you have to know what you are doing.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I don't do any digital work but I was curious and checking out the current Epson printers. I was impressed that the ink costs ~$500 per liter. I know it varies, but about how many 8x10 prints would that account for?

I was looking at a 17 inch wide printer and even that was almost $3000 and it looks like they come out with a new one every few months. What is the reasonable life span of an ink jet printer before improvements make an upgrade necessary? Every year, every 5 years?
    Jerold,

I have been using an Epson 9600 now for about 7 years (I think). It is now considered very old technology. Yet, I'm am still using it and have no plans to change in order to get the newest/latest. I'm extrememly happy with the results I obtain and do not find it necessary to keep chasing the newest. Matter of fact, I don't look forward to the day when it needs to be replaced. It has been a workhorse and has paid for itself so many times over I can't count. I know Peter De Smidt has seem my work a few times and might be able to make a comment or two about their look. And what I mean by that is whether someone could tell whether I'm using a 9600, 9800, or whatever new version is out there. So I guess what I'm saying (and in my opinion), it's not necessary to chase the latest every new model. As to the ink cost, I usually figure on about $1 in ink for an 8x10 when using the 220ml cartridges. Jim Becia

Jim's prints are excellent!

Note: Earlier in the thread I mentioned that the Canon and 7880 could be had around $2000. That was the case for most of the summer. A quick look now, though, show that the prices have gone up.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Cool Re: Ink Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Jim's prints are excellent!
    I own one of Jim's color prints thanks to the Large Format Print Exchange.

Stunning.

Incredible.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Peter and Wayne,

Thanks for the nice comments. I wasn't fishing for them, just trying to say that it's not necessary to constantly chase the newest.

Jerold and anyone else thinking of a new 17 inch printer,

On a separate note and this is quite a deal from what I can see. IT Supplies is offering the Epson 4880 (standard edition) for $894. There is double rebate going on. Unfortunately, one of the rebates - $350 ends today (9/16) and the second one
    ($500) ends at the end of the month. Anyone thinking of purchasing a 17 inch printer might consider one of these. Seems like a pretty good deal as this printer normally goes for $1744. And if I read their website correctly, shipping is also free. I have no affiliation with them, but I have purchased many supplies from them and their service has always been excellent. Hope a few people can take advantage of this. Jim

Just a quick update. It looks like both rebates are good through the end of the month (9/30) according to the rebate coupons. And a quick call to IT Supplies confirmed it. Not a bad deal! Jim

Ahh... missed the $350 rebate and won't likely have the funds before the end of the month to take advantage of the $500 rebate. Cripes......