Thread: Jackson Hotel Dunedin NZ

Warmtone

Jackson Hotel Dunedin NZ

I have recently discovered some amazing images taken in Dunedin New Zealand from our family collection taken around 1916. While I live in Melbourne, my wife's grandparents ran a hotel in Dunedin called the "Jackson" which was adjacent to the historic "Empire" picture theater.

On a recent trip to Dunedin I took the opportunity to see what still remains, and my wife and I discovered vestiges of the magnificent hotel and cinema remain.

The image I will post captures something of the time: the tranquility of the streetscape and the simplicity of life itself ..... including a Kodak photography supplies store! Imagine the logistics in transporting chemicals, film and paper to Dunedin? I have not edited the image so blemishes remain.

I believe there were many outstanding NZ photographers who we will never know of .... as in general these unsung heroes are not well published. This particular (unknown) photographer used his camera well and for the time produced an outstanding print.

The same Pricess St streetscape today at this location is totally bland thanks to modern "development improvements". At least vestiges of the old and magnificent Empire theater have been preserved tastefully in the new theater complex.

No doubt the low quality of the attachment will be limited and not give the buzz of this image when viewed at A3 but I hope some of the magic still comes through!

I've just added a photograph of the booking room.
    Last edited by warmtone; 11-Sep-2009 at 21:14. Reason: Trying to improve quality of attachment 1

Re: Jackson Hotel Dunedin NZ

Thanks for posting this. I was born and grew up in Dunedin so know the area well. Where abouts on Princess St was this? Is the Empire theatre what subsequently became the Odeon?

Dunedin had a vibrant photographic community probably thanks to its position as the commercial capital of NZ following the discovery of gold in Central Otago. Visit the early settlers museum next time you are in the city and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers

Re: Jackson Hotel Dunedin NZ

Both images have a wonderful 3 dimensional feel to them, especially the first.

The National Library has quite a few early photographs up on Flickr. It's fascinating to see the changes in the towns and cities. What is most striking about those from Wellington is how bare it was way back in the lates 1800's to early 1900's compared to now.

Earlier this year I was involved with a couple of other photographers in recreating a panoramic shot (3 plates) of Wellington taken in the early 1900s. We found the exact same spot on the hill - fortunately an area that has recently been cleared of exotic trees to allow the natives to grow back. It was a fascinating exercise.