Thread: Replacement for Epson V700 Scanner

Warmtone

Replacement for Epson V700 Scanner

Hi everyone my first post to this forum.

While I've finally succumbed to the temptation of a digital camera I still intend to retain my film cameras. Yes my Canon 5D MK2 is very good but I still enjoy the magic of large format film..... but digital imaging is here to stay so I personally believe we have the best of both worlds!

I have a fair collection of various formats including 5X7 and 8X10 and I have recently found that using a combination of Photoshop and LR2 for printing the quality achievable from large format film is excellent. As an aside, the print output from my Epson R2400 printer looks significantly better from LR2 compared with Photoshop CS2 - both using the same printer profile

I scan using an older Epson 4870 which is OK for up to 5X7 but does not cover for 8X10 and I feel the resolution for 35mm is not good enough. I am tempted to buy the V700 but it must be getting close to being replaced..... here in Australia we do not get the V7050P version which may be a notch better.

A couple of questions: Does the Epson V700 provide significantly better scan quality than the 4870? And finally, is anyone aware of a V700/V750p replacement?

Re: Replacement for Epson V700 Scanner

Quote Originally Posted by warmtone View Post
    A couple of questions: Does the Epson V700 provide significantly better scan quality than the 4870? And finally, is anyone aware of a V700/V750p replacement?
    The improvements per scanner generation are minor - scanners are quality limited by the principles of the flatbed and its finite mechanical precision in a desktop size and weight package rather than by scan line resolution or other things on the fast digital progress line. Compared to the 4870, the upgrade could be considered but is no must-have. Relative to the 4990 it usually is regarded as a waste of time and money - there is a step up by maybe 20% in resolution and gamut on each generation, and anything below 50% is under the threshold where it is noticeable in average applications. Immediately obvious improvements usually require doubling the resolution in some dimension (the human perceptual system essentially is logarithmic) so that it takes at least three or four scanner (or digital camera) generations for a "whoa, that is much better" from a amateur viewer.

There hopefully will be some replacement. They recently announced a V600 which will bring the smaller area V500 closer to V700 specs, so they haven't quit scanner development. Going by their past developments, it will be very gradual, and nobody knows when it will happen.

I was certainly able to make decent 40" x 32" prints from 4870 scans of 4x5 trannies. IMO the V700 is only really marginally better. The big difference to either scanner is to buy the Better Scanning adjustable height mounting station.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    I was certainly able to make decent 40" x 32" prints from 4870 scans of 4x5 trannies. IMO the V700 is only really marginally better. The big difference to either scanner is to buy the Better Scanning adjustable height mounting station.
    Hi Joanna,

How does one get full frame scanning when the scanning area is less than FF.

"The useable scanning area is limited by the high resolution lens' more narrow field of view plus the required space for the calibration gap and mounting film. Thus the scanning area is approximately 225 mm x 145 mm (8.85" x 5.71") for fluid mounting and slightly less at 215 mm x 145 mm (8.46" x 5.71") for dry mounting.
    Gives you the ability to do "full frame" scanning where you can include film edges and markings"

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    How does one get full frame scanning when the scanning area is less than FF.
    For sizes less than 8x10, the Better Scanning holder allows you to cut the mask to suit your needs. But, as Doug says, there is a size limit on the mounting station. For 8x10, I guess you will have to use the Epson V700 area guide supplied with the scanner.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

If you find a good clean complete low mileage Epson 4990 for a good price ($200-$250 in USA) jump on it.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei