Thread: I need help with my Epson 7600 large format printer, the magenta isn't working

Red face I need help with my Epson 7600 large format printer, the magenta isn't working

I need help with my Epson 7600 large format printer, the magenta colour isn't working?!?

I've been given a Epson Pro 7600 large format printer - which hasn't been used in over 3 years and the printer has only ever print about 45 mtrs of mainly black acetate.

I've brought new cartridge for the machine, done the usually cleans and one power clean - which has cleared all the heads prefectly except one - the magenta.
    I've had a look at the lines and all the lines which i can see that run along the bottom of the printer and over the top show good ink flow, no air bubbles or anything.
    But the magenta is show a big air bubble (i assume it's an air bubble as it is totally free of any drop of ink, and is very clear) about 4cm long right at the begining of the line - the bit that goes into the 'damper'/'carriage' - I don't really know what this is called.

Can anyone help with info about how i can sort this? I don't really want to pay ££££ to call out a technician (plus i don't think there are any in my area) - especially if someone knows how to clear this.

I've tried cleaning and cleaning and cleaning the heads in the hope is blows it through.

Has anyone come across this or knows how i can sort it? My husband is quite good at dismantling etc if need be.

Re: I need help with my Epson 7600 large format printer, the magenta isn't working

You have to purge, purge, purge if you don't want to spend the money for a tech. It'll still cost you in ink though. A machine not used for three years I'm surprised that you have only one ink clogged. I'd go on line to see if you have the latest and greatest cleaning program. There may be a super purge version.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Re: I need help with my Epson 7600 large format printer, the magenta isn't working

Join this yahoo group

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EpsonWideFormat/

Someone there will know exactly how to clear the clog without using up all of your other inks in the process.

I would suggest a little windex on the parking pads in 15 minute blocks and then checking again, but someone on the group will probably know a specific procedure as well as the specifics for the 7600 with regards to the heads and ink dampers

using cheap roll paper, you can consume magenta only by making a 22 wide by 36 inch long block of color in photoshop to print. make the color a medium darker shade magenta so you don't consume light magenta nor any of your blacks.

The ink lines are about 30+/- of print.

How the matte and photo blacks are changed over w/o running out other inks.

Might flush out air bubbles.

Alternative to to buy cleaning solution from MIS or other source and do the same.

Are these new inks?? Best to dump, but if your going to try, shake the hell out of the carts to get the pigments redisbursed.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by ruckusman View Post
    +1

Bruce Watson

I have a 9600 which has seen moderate use and has been a continual excellent performer; I'm the original owner. I had one ink that was showing only 6-10 dashes and no solid lines and another with 20% of the dashes missing. I tried many advanced head cleanings (about 20 ml each) initiated from the printer control panel (power cleaning mode).

Finally, I downloaded the 60-page 7600/9600 Field Repair Manual, paid for the 322-page 7600/9600 Service Manual and had several long conversations with Epson Large Format printer Technical Support. I pushed cleaning the heads to the limit by pulling the plastic cover and squirting warm water using a syringe at the heads (no Windex). I even replaced the sponge cap assembly that covered the head when they are not is use. It took me about two weeks to realize the unfortunate truth. To be honest Epson Pro Technical Support told me it was the heads, but I didn't want to go there. They told me more than once that more than 6 power cleaning with no appreciable change in the test print, for 6 year old printer, is a signal that the heads may need to be replaced.

Your 7600 needs new heads. It cost me about $1200. The only bit of luck was that I have certified Epson Service Center less that a mile away, so I didn't have to pay for packing and transportation fees (they don't want the printer on the stand).

The Service Center wanted about $125 for a pre-repair evaluation, which was absorbed into the final fee. Several new ink carts were needed because some of mine were expired, this was probably $300 of the total fee (they gave me a rock bottom price on the new ones). One would not want old ink that may have been responsible for the problem running through the expensive new heads; had to do it. New heads are about $500 as new parts, shipping extra. I felt that $400 for such a difficult pull-and-reinstall was worth every penny.

I contemplated doing the head replacement myself, but as the reality of doing so got closer my knees buckled and I sent it out for service. Good move.

Tim Vitale
    Paper, Photographs &
    Electronic Media Conservator
    Film Migration (still) to Digital Format
    Digital Imaging & Artwork Facsimiles
    Preservation & Imaging Consulting
    Preservation Associates
    1500 Park Avenue
    Suite 132
    Emeryville, CA 94608
    510-594-8277
    510-594-8799 fax
    tjvitale@ix.netcom.com
    Albumen website (2001) http://albumen.stanford.edu/
    VideoPreservation Website (2007) http://videopreservation.stanford.edu

Before you spend mega bucks on a printer that has not been used in a long time

do this

http://www.inksupply.com/epsonclean.cfm

I too have the Epson 7600 and it takes a lot of paper and ink to wear it out. Use proper cleaning solutions, it will dissolve the old crap out of the lines/heads

bob