Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Profile Problem

Profile Problem

Hi Folks

here is one for the PS Guru's

When working on a file I first assign adobe 1998 , then I convert to profile ie High Cotton White. At the start I am in RGB but for various reasons**please I have my reasons** I switch mode to LAB. In LAB I do my work and then go back to RGB for final adjustments and printing on my Lambda.

I have noticed that I lose my settings with this mode change and basically I go back and assign adobe 1998 and convert to my high cotton white.
    what perplexes me is I always get a slight contrast/colour shift when I do this.

Am I missing something very basic here?
    Is there a way for the profiles to stay intact with mode changes?

your help is appreciated

Re: Profile Problem

I see something somewhat similar, losing my softproof settings, through CMYK conversions. I wish I knew the answer.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Bob, I'm not sure I follow what you would have preferred to occur..

are you saying that when you convert back to RGB (which will always be to the RGB working space in the color settings when using the image> mode method) from LAB you want that conversion to be to the High Cotton White you converted "from"?
    If so, rather than doing a mode change to RGB, you need to edit> convert to profile selecting High Cotton White from the list.
    Or am I missing the point?
    Tyler

Tyler
    when I apply adobe 1998 then convert to lets say high cotton white. I see an asterk like this rgb16* when I change modes to either cmyk or lab do any # of adjustments then come back to rgb mode for printing the asterk is gone and I believe the profile I originally converted to as well .. which looks like this rgb16

To me the asterik implys that there is an assigned specific profile and is important.

The loss of the asterik with a mode change implys to me that the profile I have selected in my beginning steps seems to get lost with the mode change.

currently I just re edit >assign profile edit convert to profile
    this is where I see a slight change which I then make a adjustment to tweak back contrast specifically.

I am wondering how do you keep a profile on the steps of image adjustment when I change modes.
    hope this clarify's a bit

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    Bob, I'm not sure I follow what you would have preferred to occur..

are you saying that when you convert back to RGB (which will always be to the RGB working space in the color settings when using the image> mode method) from LAB you want that conversion to be to the High Cotton White you converted "from"?
    If so, rather than doing a mode change to RGB, you need to edit> convert to profile selecting High Cotton White from the list.
    Or am I missing the point?
    Tyler

Kirk
    I believe this is a mode change specific issue, which is beyond my current skill sets.
    It really is a pain in the ass as I have a order of moves that I believe are good for my workflow, but this issues bugs me.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I see something somewhat similar, losing my softproof settings, through CMYK conversions. I wish I knew the answer.

Your are right...sort of as a profile conversion, but changing from RGB color to CMYK as a Mode change does the same thing. Right? It seems to me a related issue.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Hello,

I think Tyler had it right, instead of a mode change from LAB to RBG, when you are in LAB mode Edit>Convert Profile to High cotton white.

If you just change mode from LAB to RGB the profile will be what you have in Edit> Color settings as RGB working profile.

Another way (also suggested by Tyler) will be to assign High Cotton White as your working RGB profile in color settings

The asterisk in the color profile is just a warning that you are working whit a different profile than your default working profile.

The same will happen with a mode coversion to CMYK

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I am wondering how do you keep a profile on the steps of image adjustment when I change modes.
    I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to do, but Photoshop keeps no record of what space you were in before the change to Lab. You'll have to specify the space you want in Convert to Profile. If you instead do a Mode change, it will pick up the default RGB space from your Color Settings. Note that the colours you get won't necessarily be those in the Lab space, nor those displayed on your monitor before the switch. Photoshop does a colorimetric conversion from Lab to RGB which will change the L* for those colours out of gamut in the destination space ... this is maybe what you're seeing.

Hi Stephen

Is there a way to make sure my settings follow through different mode changes.???

I work with *as many here* on a daily basis well over 10 different materials which we have made profiles for.
    My working method to date is to open an file almost always in RGB, first in edit drop down I assign profile -Adobe 1998 . I then in edit drop down, convert to profile , at this stage I enter the type of paper I will be using,it can be a number of different papers but lets say High Cotton White, which I have profiled.
    From here I nuetralize the image and make minor adjustments to the file.

When I am happy with my work I then change modes to LAB to make contrast and sharpening adjustments, I may make some basic colour adjustments , but in LAB I am particularly building my image contrast, density and sharpening.** I have never checked if the High Cotton White profile is still on, which I will play with tommorow.*

After I am happy here I change modes back to RGB and do final adjustments to the file.
    When I am back in RGB this is where I notice that I have seemed to lost my profile and basically to date have been going back into the Edit drop down and redoing what I initially did by assigning and then converting back to Adobe 1998 and the paper profile I wanted to be in all along.

When I re convert to the paper specs , this is when I notice the slight change , which is usually a mild contrast change , and this is easily corrected but has always perplexed me.

Fransisco and Tyler.. are you suggesting that when I change modes I should double check my settings in Edit drop down when I get in LAB??
    I never thought to do this as I always assumed that in PS once you assigned a profile it will carry through , mode to mode to mode.
    When I go from RGB to Lab , I am now guessing that I lose the High Cotton White profile and any adjustments I make in LAB are basically blind adjustments?

I hope I am not confusing everyone here and I am not a total knob here an missing something really simple.

thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Best View Post
    I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to do, but Photoshop keeps no record of what space you were in before the change to Lab. You'll have to specify the space you want in Convert to Profile. If you instead do a Mode change, it will pick up the default RGB space from your Color Settings. Note that the colours you get won't necessarily be those in the Lab space, nor those displayed on your monitor before the switch. Photoshop does a colorimetric conversion from Lab to RGB which will change the L* for those colours out of gamut in the destination space ... this is maybe what you're seeing.

When you are in LAB mode there wonīt be a profile assigned, so what I suggest is to directly convert to your desired profile (High Cotton White) instead of change mode from LAB to RGB,

So in your workflow, from Adobe RGB > convert to High Paper White > adjust > change mode to LAB > adjust > convert to High Paper White (instead of change mode to RGB)

This way you donīt have to be worried what your default settings are.