Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Blurb Update

Re: A Little Blurb Update

I had a similar problem with the second printing of a book being much worse than the first. I complained and had a reply in about 1 hour and the problem they agreed to reprint within 24 hours. I guess their customer service is not consistent. Unfortunately neither is the printing. I still think blurb is a great idea and I hope they will overcome these issues as time goes on. I will continue to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    And FWIW, it has taken five days for their Customer Support people to initially answer my quality concerns and it is still not close to being resolved.

Yes I will order some more regardless of the QC issues, even with one bad page the book still makes a very good impression and it is even easier than whipping out a portfolio to show my work. So it is a fast way to show you're a serious photographer. Their pricing is still competitive and the PDF to Print workflow is the deciding factor. Once the less expensive places embrace customer-created PDFs I'll give them a shot but right now Blurb is the only under $200 per book printer I know who has that workflow.

I ain't buying them for sheer image quality... they are better than those darn LuLu Xerox Docucolor books at least.

I already know I can spend $200 plus and get better quality control, thanks.

So what are the other options? Googling "Print on Demand" produces a whole slew of results.

Yeah not with a PDF workflow though, and most of them are worse, they use Docutechs. The HP Indigo that Blurb uses is better, compare a Lulu to Blurb book.

multiplex

frank
    have you considered trying paperchase ?
    they also use indigo presses but i am not sure about
    the pdf workflow ... and it isn't a 1-off order sort of thing
    you have to order a bunch at once ....

- john

I believe Paperchase printing offers PDF workflow. http://www.paperchase.net

$350 for one at the same specs as the Blurb... (5x) so it's like I was saying...

If I wanted 10,000 I can get them for $12 each, that's only $120K ;-)

But I'm looking for about a $50 to $75 decent one-off photo book without any smeared pages or off-color color. It doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just pleasing and without any glaring defects. That's the whole premise of Print-On-Demand and it hasn't lived up to it, at least for printing a relatively simple photography book.

It's like I said on my site, the final product, if it didn't have the obvious errors I'm complaining about, would probably sell in the $30-40 range in a commercial bookstore. Maybe ~$25 if they have a benefactor. I don't mind paying 2-3x that for a one-off, but that one-off ought not have any obvious errors that any lay-person could see.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 14-Sep-2009 at 22:29.

we had a badly printed dust jacket and scratched pages.

they asked us to photograph the damaged pages and email them the images of the damage, they then reprinted it within a week ...

A third book just arrived. No obvious defects, nice binding actually, except that the greyscale images' color drifts from a warm magenta to a neutral grey under tungsten, but everything is neutral in daylight. And a few of the images look like they have a different Gamma than most of the others, that isn't consistent either.

It's acceptable. But I wouldn't rely on these guys to do any better, it is what it is.

This thread has some possibly useful information

http://cookcomm.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=1524296