Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to get a good 4x5" drum scan?

Where to get a good 4x5" drum scan?

Hi All,

I've been scanning my 4x5s on an Epson v750, but for some of my better shots I would like to try getting them drum scanned. Any recommendations for who has a good drum scanning service? I'm in the Washington DC area if there is something local, but I am also willing to ship my transparencies to a service if I can find a good one.

Thanks!
    Bill

Re: Where to get a good 4x5" drum scan?

Talk to Bruce Watson on this forum. His drum scans are impeccable!
    http://largeformatpro.com/

www.timeandlight.com
    www.gladesgallery.com

Preston Birdwell

West Coast Imaging in Oakhurst, CA does drum scans. They are not inexpensive, but the quality of their work and customer service is beyond reproach.

Also, contact Danny Burk. He's a forum member. www.dannyburk.com. He's done drum scans for me. I was very pleased with his work and service.

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Hi Bill,

If you want the best scan contact Lenny at

http://www.eigerstudios.com/

he uses the Aztek Premier drum scanner (arguably best drum scanner ever made) and is a skilled op / photographer.

Regards,

Tim

<correct salutation>

Tim, Preston is not looking for a scanner. Bill, I do not recommend Lenny Eiger. I do recommend West Coast Imaging. They won't scratch your work; they won't feed you BS at every turn; and they are currently having a sale:

https://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci...e/specials.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    Tim, Preston is not looking for a scanner. Bill, I do not recommend Lenny Eiger. I do recommend West Coast Imaging. They won't scratch your work; they won't feed you BS at every turn; and they are currently having a sale:

Eric,

This is inappropriate. You and I had a disagreement. From my perspective you sent me a scratched neg and wanted to blame it on me. I don't feed anyone BS, you are the only person I have ever had a problem with in all the years I have been scanning, and if I had a similar problem with you I wouldn't put it out in a public forum, especially when people were asking for the specific kind of service I offer.

Not to mention that the scratch was so minimal that it was a piece of cake to fix it in Photoshop, less than 5 mines, which I had done for you, free of charge. I have dealt with other people's scratches, that are real scratches and that's another matter. You were petty, anal about a stupid scratch, that I didn't create, and rude. And I refunded the cost of that scan.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Well Tim, Lenny has never scratched a neg of mine in 5 years, I have seen him at his Aztec Premier Scanner working I can not imagine how a scratch would come out of his work flow. Accidents can happen, but with Lenny’s craftsmanship, a scratch would be quite rare. I trust Lenny to give me a great scan and advise, which for me is probably more valuable than the scan. Don’t look a gift scan in the mouth!
    Craig Carlson www.craigcarlson.net - check out all of Lenny’s scans

Hi Craig,

FYI that was Eric who made the comment about the scratch.

Agree Lenny has never scratched any film I've sent him to scan either. With the drum mounting it would be rather difficult to do actually. I can speak from experience as I have an Aztec Premier also. If I didn't have one, Lenny would be handling my scans.

Concerning scratches I have been cutting Kodak PanatomicX-II into sheet film and an really surprised how much film can take before scratching.

_ .. --
    TiM

Not really sure how a scratch would happen with Lenny's type of scanner.
    What may be the case is that due to the high resolution of his unit , scratches not seen with other scanning methods are present with his higher quality scan.
    I have seen this time and time again when printing for others, that when a negative is put in an enlarger, with glass carriers , condensor light source, and apo lenses, scratches never seen before rear their ugly heads. Lots of bad processing out there that usually is the root cause.

Tim and Bob, I don't believe that it was the Aztec Scanner that was responsible for damaging the slide. The operator admits to being overwhelmed by a three-hundred-scan order at the time he handled my transparency.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not my post was "inappropriate". Every time I see the image, every time I see Lenny Eiger's name on this forum, my blood boils. It's not "a" scratch. There is "a" 2mm scratch on the emulsion side; on the flip side there are dozens of hairline scratches. Perhaps these hairline scratches would be hard to see if he had bothered to clean the fluid off the slide after scanning, but he didn't because, in his words: he noticed the scratching and was afraid that cleaning the slide would make it worse, so he returned it to me covered in scanning fluid.

With respect to me being "anal": You have no idea what I went through to capture that image! Do I hold my breath when I'm inspecting a slide that is not in a protective sleeve - yes. Do I rest a loupe on a slide that isn't in a protective sleeve - no. Did I choose a scratched slide to submit for a $135 (!) scan - no. Am I anal about how my transparencies are handled - perhaps I am.

With respect to me being "rude": since I examined the slide upon its return I haven't spoken with him; I've looked back over the emails between us and I see nothing that could be characterized as rude, except perhaps for the salutation, "you should be ashamed of yourself". (In a recent thread he suggested/intimated that a respected forum member called him an "opinionated, self-important asshole", so he seems to have an irrational way of reading between the lines.)

With respect to West Coast Imaging: You can ship them a package and not worry about it sitting on the owner's front porch until he returns; you can go to their website and download a professional order form where you can specify your file size, color space and file type; and they won't manipulate your scans by careless spotting or unsolicited curves applications.