Thread: Hello from California

Hello from California

Hi. I'm doing this all backward, I think - I've had a 4x5 Chromega for almost 20 years, and 16x20 processing tubes for Cibachrome etc. etc...
    But I always lusted after a good LF camera and didn't think I could afford it. I got a digital camera about 12 years ago and disliked it so much I kind of quit doing photography. Then just recently I found LF cameras on ebay, and actually accidentally purchased a Crown Graphic! Haha.
    The irony is, I mostly like color, so I'll probably end up digitizing the film and ink-jet printing.

Anyway, this is an awesome forum, so full of great info! Thank you thank you thank you for this.

I actually have a question - Are quickload films still available, and do they work in a Crown Graphic? Do I have to buy a special holder to use it? And is it worth the extra cost, either in terms of ease of use or cleanliness?

Also, if you do color and don't want to do your own developing, do people mostly just mail films somewhere? Where is good? If I'm mailing do I care whether it's in California or across the country?

Re: Hello from California

Quickloads are available in Fuji color chromes and require a Quickload holder. The Quickload holder slides in where the standard fidelity etc. holder slides in, both displacing the Ground Glass (GG). People on this forum are often selling Quickload holders so keep your eyes open. Quickloads are very convenient but about twice the price per sheet of the standard film. You hit on the real advantage - ease of use and cleanliness. But clearly if you pack your equipment on your back a stack of 20 QLs is as bulky as only 2 standard film holders - and you don't worry about loading tents.

Most people mail the exposed films to a high quality film developing house unless they live near such archaic facilities, usually nearer large cities. Probably lots of advice on this forum for quality processing especially in 4X5 format. I use Praus Productions in Rochester NY. and usually send a control image with each batch to keep track of their process in achieving color balance and density. Occasionally I'll do my own E6 processing and always do my own B&W.

BTW welcome to this forum you'll find some highly knowledgeable people here.

Also BTW if you are mailing Quickloads for processing and you've recorded data on the sleeves copy the data on a separate sheet for safety. Also ask on your order form to "Save the Sleeves for Data". Indicate normal processing unless you are pushing. Most all of the films are returned in clear polyethylene sleeves to protect the emulsion when you use a quality processing house. You might want to be a bit careful in mailing in extreme hot weather.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Welcome to group therepy, Greg! Fuji still makes Quickload films for use with their holders; some have had good results using them in Polaroid 545 holders also...you will get alot of information from a search on this site for "545" or "Fuji/545", etc...and the 545 holders are available on eBay and other places for a song since Polaroid discontinued their 4x5 film production.

The Crown will make a good starting camera with enough front movements to get a little experience; later you will probably move up to something with more movements if you find you need more depending on your interests. If you shoot mostly landscapes and portraits, you might stay with the Crown; if you get carried away with product/still-life work or architectrual work you're gonna need a camera with much more movement available.

Quickloads are great, even if more expensive. As for processing color, I am in the San Diego area, I use CHROME in San Diego. They have a website. Prices are reasonable. There are other labs in different parts of the state. Welcome to the madness of LF.