Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RC-VC or Fiber VC? Which, and why?

RC-VC or Fiber VC? Which, and why?

Greetings:

I'm enrolled in an alt-process printing course at university and it's time to purchase supplies for darkroom.

I've printed before on RC-VC, but shopping Freestyle's selection I am finding Fiber VC as well as RC and wondering what major differences, if any, exist as well as the benefits of each.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Re: RC-VC or Fiber VC? Which, and why?

searches on apug and google will definitely help you on your way.

But for starters...

RC = Utility and Proofs
    Fiber = Fine Prints
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Will - thanks. So, fiber VC will be a nice final print medium. Thanks. No ready to move to graded fiber but wanting something nicer than RC for my prints.

Cheers!

I agree with Will. Be aware, though, that FB paper requires different handling than RC paper. With RC paper you want to minimize the wet time, or you can get edge delamination. With FB paper, you should use a wash aid and a fairly long washing time. In addition, FB tends to curl when it dries.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Fiber has been richer in rendering the blacks than RC. Toning was better with fiber too. RC is nice if you need a quick print.

I just noticed: Nelson! How the heck are you? Haven't seen you in a while.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I'm well. Got sidetracked from LF interests for many months. I'm slowly getting back to it. Happy for an opportunity to experiment in the darkroom again.

I decided to go with Arista Private Reserve VC RC Semi-Matte. Not sure if any here have printed on it, but I'm sure it'll serve my purposes.

There is a lot myth and old wives tales perpetuated about RC not being as good as FB.
    Fact is they are different and each has its own pros and cons. No one knows if RC will last as long as Fibre but everyone assumes Fibre will last longer.

Try both and use the one you prefer for what you are doing. Fibre usually responds better to toning and may well do so for the alt process you are thinking of. RC is much quicker to process and deal with after development. Infact it has greater range than Fibre becuase of the high gloss which doesn't scatter light as much as Fibre.
    Under glass you would be hard pressed to tell the difference unless you get up close.
    But fibre does a give a special look.

So, as you can see, it is not cut and dried as to which to go for. They are two mediums with different properties and you must find the best for you.

hacker extraordinaire

I only use RC paper. I like it better and I'm used to printing on it; I see no point in changing my materials if I'm happy with them.

I also don't see the point in printing sometimes onto one and sometimes onto another. Since FB is more expensive and more labor intensive I know people that use RC proof sheets and work prints and then try to make a FB answer print. I just think that at that point my answer print would be better if it was on the same material I'd been working with the whole time, so for me it's RC all the way down.

I wasn't raised around tons of people insisting that FB is better so I never absorbed the obsession with the old material. I like RC better and FB does nothing for me.

Nobody knows how long they will last; I'm happy to test RC longevity out for everyone by printing everything onto RC.

I started using RC/VC because of the cost, and later, when I started getting paid for photos, quick turnaround necessitated the use of RC/VC (this is pre-photoshotop).
    As it is, I've learned to use them, and how to process my film to get the most out of those papers. I always use matte, or at the very least semi-matte, as I find it "encourages" strong blacks and whites.
    As much as I enjoy working in the darkroom, I like that prints can be made quickly and efficiently with the RC/VC papers, and with a minimum of equipment and water usage.
    This is a photo from a month ago, using Shanghai film and Ilford MGIV, satin finish.
    It's a straight scan, no photoshop adjustments; I can't account for how it looks on your screen, but in one's hand, it's a handsome print (if I do say so myself )
    Good luck.

I haven't used RC since college. How do you wash it? For how long? We just used a tray with a Kodak tray siphon back then.