Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light-Proofing a Bathroom

Light-Proofing a Bathroom

Hey

So I am planning on sealing my bathroom door for light so I can load film in it and I was wondering if anyone had some advice. All I have to do is seal the door as there are no windows I know I can use some cloth black tape, but that seems a waste to re-seal it every-time with new tape. I also don't know if I want to install weather stripping or anything to bulky as we are renters and I am not sure how our landlord would feel about me modifying too much.

I know there are probably a tonne of other posts on sealing the bathroom but I was hoping for specific advice on techniques that don't include altering the door too much as again I am a renter.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Re: Light-Proofing a Bathroom

Put a towel on the floor to block light coming in from under the door. If light is leaking from the jambs, get a piece of blackout cloth and tack it up over the door with two push pins. If the door opens to a hallway, it might help keeping the hall lights turned out---in fact that might be all the precaution you'll need! If you make it too dark, how will you see what you're doing?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

My darkroom is in a utility room. I made a curtain from black cloth mounted on a rod above the door. The cloth is large enough to cover the door jams and drag on the floor a bit. It can be pushed aside when not using the darkroom. Works quite well.

whatever solution you use, take some time to verify that it is light tight- sitting in the dark for a minute or so and allowing your eyes to adjust is the way to do it. If any light is getting in you will see it after a minute or so and then you can take measures to correct it. Me personally, I use a basement bathroom with no windows and and extra outside door down the hall to close out the little remaining light that would reach the bathroom door- no baffles or extra measures required.

Oh, and one more thing, take off your watch with its luminous dial prior to using the room although I cant imagine what idiot would forget something like that (except me).

Octogenarian

When I formerly lived in rental units, I needed to light proof the bathroom door in order to use it as a darkroom. Did it many times.

In fact, I have also done it in the home that I now own.

I purchased self-sticking black rubber weather stripping (3/4 inch wide) at the Home Depot and installed it around the inside of the door frame.

A rolled up bathroom rug or a dark color towel is used to seal off the light coming from under the door.

When I was ready to move, I merely peeled off the weather stripping. Lighter fluid removed any remaining tape residue without harming the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    although I cant imagine what idiot would forget something like that (except me).
    I can.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Downstairs

I staple two rows of velcro above the door and hang two overlapping black 'curtains'. The curtains also have a strip of lead beads along the bottom. You walk through the overlap and kick the slack into place. When the wife complains, just strip the curtains off.
    (beside the point, but my camera darkcloth also has lead beads on two edges and a white side to keep things cool)

I solved the bathroom blackout problem in a rental unit with a Harrison changing tent. Best money I ever spent. I can handle film 24/7.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Octogenarian

My bathroom darkroom is utilized for loading and unloading film holders, processing film in tanks and trays, and enlarging and printing on silver gelatin paper.

Since you state that you only want to use your darkroom for loading and unloading film holders, it seems to me that it would be more practical to purchase a changing tent.

That way, there would be no need to limit yourself to the bathroom.

I have a changing tent and find it quite useful in the field or when traveling, but at home I like the comfort of loading and unloading holders and development trays in the bathroom. I use a blackout cloth hung on hooks over the door, with a little extra all around to block the light. I found I still need a block at the bottom of the door so I place one of those door socks at the base (used to keep cold air out). The door is light tight.

Take Eric's advise and sit/stand in the room for a while. It can take up to 10-15 minutes for your eyes to get completely dark adapted. Look carefully at the edges of the door, but also look around light and socket plates, and look up the shaft of ventilation fans (this is where I found some light leak). If after a while you get the eerie feeling that you're in a Vin Diesel movie, then you've succeeded.

Brian