Thread: Osprey Atmos 35 backpack size

Osprey Atmos 35 backpack size

I was wondering if those of you using the Osprey Atmos 35 backpack for your 4x5 kit know whether it will fit within the carry-on "test rack" the airlines use? I know it's published dimensions exceed the published airlines specifications but Osprey's numbers are for a pack in loaded state.

I looked at one this afternoon and the display model (stuffed with pillows and air bags) was about the size of the published dimensions (23.5" x 13" x 12") but the unstuffed on was certainly not that size and looks like it might stuff into the carry-on tester (21.5" x 15" x 9"). I don't expect packing my modest Technika kit into it would bloat it out to near the size of the stuffed store model.

So, anybody tried it?

Thanks, Dave

Re: Osprey Atmos 35 backpack size

Haven't tried it, but my gut feeling is that it's a bit too large to fit as a carry-on. Mainly it's due to the internal frame being too long.

I have the Atmos 35 in the Large size.

LJ Segil

I recently carried on a P2 pack (basically an expanded Kelty 3100 Redwing) from Photobackpacker on several flights (major airlines, full size jets), after removing the side packs and all gear other than the 5x7 Canham camera itself (in Photobackpacker case) and my lenses in two four lens 4x4 Photobackpacker cases and cinching down the straps of the pack and was not challenged at any time. The pack fit easily (albeit sideways) in the overhead rack, and I think might have gone under the seat if necessary. At any rate, no hassle from TSA or the airlines. You can check the P2 pack dimensions on the Photobackpacker site, but I believe they are similar to the pack you describe, and the final dimensions of the cinched pack as I carried it were ultimately determined by the harness size and not the gear contained.
    Good luck,
    Larry

Very interested to hear that others use an Osprey Atmos 35 also - I do because of it's fantastic comfort, light weight and panel opening.
    In answer to the specific question I thought it would be slightly too big when I travelled last year, so didn't risk it. I packed the Atmos inside my larger hold luggage case (empty the Atmos takes up minimal room) and the photographic items in a small wheeled case (Orvis) that was fine for carry on luggage. Tripod was in hold luggage.
    I was travelling from the UK to US and ordered film from Badger that was waiting at the hotel desk when I arrived, so no xray hassle on the outward journey either!
    Another tip with the Atmos - which I found this two weeks ago. I bought a Deuter 2 liter Steamer hydration bag (not the bladder) and that fits very well in the outer elasticated sleeve of the Atmos, and is great for carrying Quickload film.
    The one thing I need to change when using the Atmos is I've been packing the camera at the bottom (in a Billingham Hadley padded inner which fits the Atmos like a glove), but need to swap this round so the camera is higher up the pack, and the lenses at the bottom, so am looking for a good way to pad and protect the camera.

Carry-on regs

Each airline sets its own regulations for carry-on luggage. There is an informal migration to the 45" rule - Length + Width + height. The P1 and P2 packs I sell will meet this requirement provided only the most delicate gear is left in the pack. You will also find that while the 45" rule is listed on the airline's website, the boarding gate "size-checkers are 22 X 14 X 9.

Some suggestions:

1. Minimize the gear inside.
    2. Use the compression straps to make the pack as tight as possible.
    3. Print a copy of the airline's rules to share with the gate agent if necessary.
    4. Don't grunt and grimace when you pick up the pack.
    5. OR, as an alternative, Put your camera, lenses and light meter in a carry-on sized rolling suitcase and throw the pack in your checked luggage.

The carry-on rules get tougher on international or non-US carriers - with weight allowance being the most restrictive factor. I have a guide on the photobackpacker web site.

For what it is worth, the Atmos 35 is a super pack but a number of us have found the extreme curve is a bit of a challenge for storing our gear. That is my personal experience but I can't speak for everyone.
    Bruce

Hi Bruce

Thanks for this information. The values I initially reported were from the Westjet site, I expect their not too far out of line with other major NA carriers. I love the "don't grunt" advice!

Regarding the deep bow in the Atmos 35... the sales fellow I was talking to (after being left alone for 20 minutes while I poked through every likely-looking pack in the store - I love to browse unpestered.) pointed out that this years version they had reduced the degree of the bowing. Apparently Osprey's concern wasn't so much the reduced interior space but the fact the pack's weight was carried farther from the body core than they felt was appropriate. Weight closer to body...better "feel".

Based on my current equipment load and the pack I'm coming from, I estimate the reduced volume compared to your units won't be an issue.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read and respond.

Dave

I have used the Osprey Kestrel 32 as my carry on. It is a panel loader that opens up very well for getting at gear. Holds a fair amount of gear and has a simple metal frame that does a decent job of transfering the load to your hips. The bag also lays flat if you wanted to put it in your checked luggage.

I am not sure if the Photobackpacker inserts will work with it but I think the pack would be a prime candidate for photographer use. I currently use a variety of smaller LowePro bags and lens cases in it and really like it.

I find it to be a much better hiking backpack than your typical photo backpack.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Has anyone any experience with the Osprey Waypoint 65?

Also a panel opening bag, and I'm just wondering if anyone is using it for their LF gear?
    The men's large weighs 2.58KG which is getting away from the really lightweight, but this would be reduced by removing the daypack.
    I'm not sure how easy it would be to attach a tripod - I've never seen this pack in the flesh, but it looks interesting, and Osprey in the UK reckon it would be a good contender for carrying LF gear.
    Anyone any experience of this pack?