Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF Bag ideas?

LF Bag ideas?

I've posted about this before and got some good ideas. Now that I have traveled 3500 miles with my 4x5 I still have another 15,000 miles to go. The problem is that the bag I picked up (Tenba sachel) does not carry everything that I need.

I'm be moving to Rome and will need a bag that I can fly with but also be able to walk around and shoot. We now have an apt in Rome so I can leave some thing behind but I would like to have most of my stuff in case anything comes up.

Here is what I will be carrying with me.

1 - 4x5 field camera (Tachihara wood fold up)
    8 - film holders
    1 - loupe
    1 - focusing cloth
    1 - 135mm lens (already have a case from Photobackpacker)
    1 - Lightmeter
    1 - changing bag
    1 - extra box
    1 - box of film
    4 - filters
    1 - release cable
    1 - lens tool
    1 - tripod
    1 - graycard

I've tried to limit what I will bring with me so I think i can carry something pretty compact. If you can toss out some name brands that might work that would be great. I was actually thinking of heading down to Glazer's tomorrow to try a few out but please toss me a few ideas if you can. Thanks

santo

Re: LF Bag ideas?

My suggestion is since you are here in Europe is to go to an honest to goodness backpacking/hiking/camping store and bring all of your gear. I did this at an REI and the store employee spent an hour working with me to figure out how much the stuff weighed, how far I intend to walk, how I am built (body measurements) etc. I walked out paying $200 for backpack. Having a person work with you to figure out your body size and correctly determine the weight you are carrying will be held by the backpack you are currently in love with is pretty important otherwise a long walking trip will be MUCH longer. If you can afford having something sent from the US, maybe talk with Steve at http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp.

good luck hunting.

./e

Santo,
    I have all the equipment you listed, plus about 10-12 film holders, a Polaroid back, and a Grafmatic.
    The Lowepro Magnum (medium format) is perfect for what I have. My lens is in the camera all the time, saving a bit of space, and the focusing cloth is in the front pouch. Amazingly, I ran out of stuff to put in the bag, the side pockets are empty.
    It will fit very nicely into an airplane's overhead compartment.
    Drawbacks? I keep putting stuff in it, and it now weighs more than I do.
    Good Luck.

I use a lowepro computrekker aw. here's how i packed for a recent 6 day trip:

Inside i have my 4x5 and 5 lenses from 90mm to 400mm. I leave the changing bag and extra film at home, as i shoot with the Fuji Quickchange system. I carry 5 Quick Change cartridges in the front pocket which allows me to shoot up the 50 images, stacked together they are about as high is 5 standard 4x5 cutfilm holders.

Filters darkcloth and meter can also go into the front pocket, or the space where the Bessa III currently occupies.

The tripod i use is a Gitzo GK3580QRS kit, which is a 3 series systmatic CF tripod with a systmatic ball head and no center column. I find this setup extremely rigid and light weight, and sling it over my shoulders as i hike.

I find the backpack is quite comfortable, and I can go on long hikes without feeling weighed down by the gear.

Michael E. Gordon

I can fit my Chamonix or Ebony, four lenses, all accessories, five holders, and more in my tiny LowePro Mini-Trekker. I have larger LowePro packs, but for going light and fast and being able to carry-on to planes and put in ANY overhead, the Mini-Trekker is the ticket.

I think Photobackpacker will do well. Get the one that is smller than the Kelty P1/P2. I think it is based on the Kelty 3500 pack. It will easily hold your gear (including your tripod if it is lightweight), have room to spare, and fit in overhead compartments.

I have used both packs with different cameras and they are both excellent. I have a large Lowe-Pro pack and the photobackpackers are significantly more comfortable under load.

I'm not in EU yet but will be in a month so I wanted to get this nailed out soon. I was actually looking at REI since I've been a member since the early 80s. I was also going to talk to Bruce at PBP. They really know their stuff.

I'm going to head to Glazer's today so i can try out the lowepro series as well. Funny but most of the photo stores in the Seattle area no longer carry larger bags. Everything is for digital junk.

Thanks again.

santo

I use a bag from an old analog camcorder. Last weekend I fit 18 film holders, two 12-shot bag mags, and a 6-shot Grafmatic inside the main compartment. The end pouches had a light meter, multi-tool, an extra lens and various odds and ends. The front pouch had twelve rolls of 120 plus some cleaning supplies. It was relatively pleasant to carry, all things considered.

Search eBay or Craigslist for used video gear that comes with a bag - it's probably cheaper than buying the bag alone!

I use one of the large Calumet Pro Series Camera/Video bags. It is a traditional, hung-from-the-shoulder bag, not a backpack. It holds my Canham Traditional 5x7 camera, wrapped in a large dark cloth, 6 5x7 double sided film holders, two smallish lenses on Technika boards, Pentax digital spotmeter, notebook, gel filters, lens cleaner, reading glasses with clip on magnifiers, cable release etc. It is not small, and in fact is a bit imposing for a bag hanging from your shoulder. I doubt that it would fit under an airline seat, but should fit in an overhead bin with no problem.

Santo,

Fishing rucksacks are something you could look at, a friend of mine who is a keen angler owns a really good one that would be perfect for 4x5 (I shoot 10x8 so it is too small for me) Fishing rucksacks tend to be loads cheaper than the wildly over priced camera bags. Also one of the things that really caught my attention was the insulated pockets intended for fishing bait.....great for film!