Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Difference between Art and Fine Art

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Difference between Art and Fine Art

Quote Originally Posted by WalterE54 View Post
    I have always liked saying "I'm a photographer" when asked what kind of "artist" I was at galleries,etc. I think "artist" is kind of a burden in its description, geez, nothing too full of myself, just a photographer, an observer of what is around me is good for me. Oh, but I have labelled my website as Fine Art Photography---just for sales though. LOL
    The term "Artist" does seem a bit pretentiously loaded, especially when self-assigned. Having gone through a Fine Arts program for a BFA, I'd offer my opinion that very few of the undergraduate or graduate students, or the professors, were really and truly "artists" in the best sense of the word. On my best days, I can maybe hope to dance around the edges, but even that seems a pretentious claim...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Difference between Art and Fine Art

Quote Originally Posted by WalterE54 View Post
    I think "artist" is kind of a burden in its description...
    It can be a burden, but I think this is a shame, and it's one of the reasons I fight against any definition of "artist" that implies you're good at anything. I just think of it as a description of an avocation--like "plumber," or "proctologist."

What I like about "artist" is that it doesn't pigeon hole you. If my identity gets too wrapped up in being a photographer, I might be less open projects that involve music, or writing, or whatever. I think it should all be fair game. Photography just happens to be the medium I've had the most luck with so far.

Oh, but I have labelled my website as Fine Art Photography---just for sales though. LOL
    And I've avoided the term Fine Art Photography--also for reasons of sales and marketing! I sometimes fight getting lumped together with very conservative traditionalist photographers, and i've found that avoiding that phrase can help.