Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to build a lens board for a Calumet 4x5

I want to build a lens board for a Calumet 4x5

I have decided to build a lens board for a Calumet 4x5 that i bought at a recent garage sale. My question is, which wood would be the best? I would prefer something that would not warp over time.

Thanks
    Jim

Re: I want to build a lens board for a Calumet 4x5

There is a lens board making thread going on right now you might want to take a look at. Not sure what dimensions of wood you need but the one I built for my Kodak 2D was fabricated from 1/8" mahogany in two layers glued orthogonally to each other. It hasn't warped in 20 years, so seems like a good way to make them. Some great ideas in that other thread, such as gluing a wood layer to a metal layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    There is a lens board making thread going on right now you might want to take a look at. Not sure what dimensions of wood you need but the one I built for my Kodak 2D was fabricated from 1/8" mahogany in two layers glued orthogonally to each other. It hasn't warped in 20 years, so seems like a good way to make them. Some great ideas in that other thread, such as gluing a wood layer to a metal layer.
    Thank you for your reply Jim! I will search for that thread. Mahogany sounds great. Can i find it at a local Home Depot or a similar home improvement center?

Jim

I think I found mine at a hobby store, but it should be easily found online. The stuff I've seen at HD is 1/4" or more in thickness, so probably wouldn't work.

look up and understand the meaning of quater sawn lumber and how to spot it. it will make a huge differance in the stability of any speicies of lumber.

I recently bought an Calumet CC-400 4x5 off Craigslist. It came with an original aluminum board and two plywood boards that the previous owner had made. He used 1/8 inch plywood that he purchased at a model shop. The plywood boards work quite nicely.

Roger

If your calumet is like the cc400 (long skinny round rail), rather than the Cambo/Calumet camera, it might be hard to find wood thin enough to fit in the slot. You might try some black acrylic.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Thank you everyone for all your help!

Jon, I dont know what model it is. I bought it at a garage sale for $20. I actually didnt buy it, she gave it to me for free so i gave her a $20 tip. John, would you know what model it is and how thick the new board should be?

Thanks Jim

You could buy some Cambo lens boards from KEH or 'bay ... but they'll cost more than what you paid, er tipped for the entire camera. Around $30.

That's a Cambo made one, which I believe can take a thicker board than the older cc400. Note that you would need to make some small notches in the top to work with the sliding catch.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com