Thread: Dry Mount Problem

Dry Mount Problem

When dry mounting, I use a board between the platen and the print (as described by Ansel Adams.) I'm finding that the board sticks a little to the print and ta kes off the gloss surface, degrading the blacks. Questions: 1 Is there anything I can do to a print which has already suffered this? 2. Is there a way of preventing this? Maybe to use quick realease paper betwee n the board and the print? (I tried using just quick release paper and found th at there were small pits in the print no matter how carefully I dusted everythin g.) Thanks in advance.

Dry Mount Problem

I definitely recommend using quick release paper.

It is not likely you will be able to salvage your prints that have lost the gloss on their surface. The only possibility I can think of is to wax them with some Renaissance microcrystalline wax (available from Light Impressions), but I wouldn't guarantee the result.

Dry Mount Problem

Seal also markets quick release board, the quick release "teflon" substance integrated into a reasonably stiff board. It is quite useful. Bob

Dry Mount Problem

I use a sheet of Light Impressions Apollo interleaving paper between the print and the cover board. I replace it every so often, especially if I get indenting or stickyness. The Apollo paper is way cheaper than the release papers and has no effect on the finish of an air-dryed fiber base print.

Dry Mount Problem

By the way- the sticking to the face of a print is usually related to moisture- make sure everything is very dry before attempting to drymount!

Dry Mount Problem

the best answer, IMHO, is to stop dry-mounting your prints. use linen tape hinges. it is the archival way to mount prints of any kind.

Dry Mount Problem

Try the release paper, but also check that your press is not too hot or the time too long.

Regards,

Doug

Dry Mount Problem

As stated earlier, the most likely problem is moisture in the print or board.I would suggest heating the board and pressing the print prior to tacking the tissue. If you choose not to use tissue but the hinge method instead, you will have a flat print for presentation. I believe the hinge method is preferred for archival purposes.

Merg Ross

Dry Mount Problem

If I am understanding right, your prints are being dulled during the mounting process. I like my prints to have a nice gloss look. When they don't have the shine that I like, I will treat the suface of the print with steam. I fire up the the kettle that I use to make tea, you know the kind that whistles when the water boils and move the print around in the path of the steam. This also works well to hide touch up spots on a print.

Dry Mount Problem

Many Thanks to everyone for their help. I tried Jeff White's suggestion of using steam from a kettle and it worked like a dream. Many many Jeff!