Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: web site

web site

Do you have a web site. Did you build it yourself use one of the items such as mac iweb to build it.or hire someone to do your work for you. I would like to have a site but I am getting some crazy numbers for cost Anyone on this form do this kind of work or maybe a good reference to one would be greatly appreciated.OH my new to me 4x5 will be here to day. thanx

Re: web site

Mine is home made using iweb and MobileMe. Check it out, send a private email if you want. iWeb is good for personal, not business site. There are many free site builders, you must put up with ads, however. Zenfolio is good. http://www.zenfolio.com

Best,
    Chuck

http://www.blackcanyonphoto.com

I built my from scratch using GoLive and BBEdit in text/coding mode (had the domain name long before), but then I've been working on Web pages since 1994 and html 1.0, long before wysiwyg Web editors were invented. And yes, my Website looks like it, simple, but it's easy to maintain, manage and update. It's also a multi-function Website for a variety of interests besides photography.

That said, I agree, to start, try one of the free on-line photography ones first. If you do have and develop your own, you'll need a domain name. Just be sure you buy it and not rent/lease it from the DNS company and/or host. And remember, your domain name company (registration) doesn't have to be your Website host. Although it's handy, it's not essential.

Good luck.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

My amazing site is done in pure HTML. Lovingly hand crafted in Midnight Commander's text editor.

I've used only the finest of keyboards and a custom computer to build this edifice for the ages. All archival and ..... breaks down laughing.

Good luck with it.

Most commercial solutions do not let you use their templates if you aren't hosting with them. I built my website on my own, using Kompozer and SimpleViewer Pro. While Kompozer is quite easy to figure out, you need Adobe Flash to customize the more advanced features of SimpleViewer Pro.

Unlike PenGun, I used a generic PC box and a no-name keyboard, and it's certainly not archival, because I expect to change it in the next few months...

Kumar

Preston Birdwell

I built the current iteration of my site using MS Front Page 2003. My Site

I am in the process of developing a data-driven site using Asp.Net and a SQL database with MS Expression Web 2 and Visual Studio 2008. It is not yet live.

If you are not proficient in html and CSS, one of the free on-line sites is a good way to go. At some point you may want to roll your own, so you'll need to obtain a good web site development program, put on your learning cap, and go to work.

A great learning resource is W3Schools. There are many, easy to understand tutorials that will help you. Pay particular attention to html and CSS to start with.

You didn't mention if you are using a PC or Mac. If a PC then you can download a free 60 day trial of Expression Web 3 at the Expression Products. It is a full-featured program and has the added facility of a built-in web server so that you can see how your site will look and behave without having it be live on the Web. There is also a very active Expression Web forum where you can get help if you get stuck.

Have fun!

@PenGun: That's too funny! :-)

-Preston
    Last edited by Preston; 12-Aug-2009 at 16:06. Reason: typos
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I did mine with iWeb and it's hosted through MobileMe. Another program (it's free, though they'd appreciate donations and a mention) is jalbum - I think it's jalbum.com, but I'm not sure. They have lots of templates and it's pretty easy to learn. I went with iWeb because I wasn't sure how to get something I made with jalbum uploaded to my MobileMe account. With iWeb, it's wicked simple.
    Oh, and mine's www.ewfisher.com (thought it was in my sig line)

As well as a few others above..iweb is the way to go. You can create some great sites or dirt cheap, and its easy to use! I don't use mobileme but have been wanting to look into it. As for the provider I use 1and1.com

santo

If you are computer inclined I suggest you invest the time and energy into learning how to code your own site from scratch. You can learn as you go. It is really pretty easy. Photo sites are not too bad either just a menu and a thumbnail gallery with larger pop-ups of some sort. simple is always better with web design.

There are lots of good how-to sites. google is your friend.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

I love wordpress and want to create a site using wordpress