Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aurora, Nevada... Is there anything there?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Aurora, Nevada... Is there anything there?

Quote Originally Posted by dperez View Post
    Thanks for all the info about Aurora and Bodie. I have avoided it for years for the reasons that Jim Galli mentioned. But after a trip up to Silverton, CO a few years ago I decided I would make a go at Bodie since it was much closer and I could make return trips a little easier.
    It's a mistake to avoid Bodie just because it has been discovered by the photography world. Unlike Silverton, which I have never been to or Calico which I have, Bodie is real ghost town and the largest remaining in the US.

Gold is being successfully mined just over the hill from the train station and the mining company tried to buy the mineral rights to mine Bodie itself a few years back. They were rebuffed back then but California is in a financial jam and the price of gold is currently hovering around $1,000/oz and expected to go much higher - $2,000/oz is being mentioned. Go while Bodie is still there.

omission requested by John Kasaian
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 20-Aug-2009 at 18:19. Reason: ... because this joke has no class!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    omission requested by John Kasaian
    Omission granted John but what was the joke? Don't be bashful, let's hear it! I'm always up for a good joke.
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 20-Aug-2009 at 19:05. Reason: Always up to hear a good joke!

If my memory is correct, the last resident left Bodie ~ 1948 after which the town was completely abandoned until it became a State Park. In 1951 you must have had unrestricted access to the interiors. I'd bet you "camped" in one of the hotels or houses.

Thomas[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was as you suggest, quite a different place in 1951. That was a time when one could rent a "cabin" (vintage 1900) in Rhyolite, Nevada for $5 a week. Such a luxury was free at Bodie, and fortunately there were those who respected and apprecited the historical significance of the place and made efforts to preserve it. I have read that as many as 1,500 visitors pass through on a weekend, but at least there is still a feeling of the mining camp era.

This thread has strayed from Aurora, but since there is little that remains of that town, an earlier thread was devoted to Bodie.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ighlight=bodie

Thanks for the link Merg - I enjoyed viewing the images that were presented - especially yours of the morgue which I have yet to visit. Bodie is truly a fantastic place one which everyone, including photographers, should see. The last poster, Paul, hit it on the head stating: "There's definitely a million great shots waiting to be had at Bodie."

Actually, Bodie is not too far of the mark as it is only about 20 miles from Bodie and is either near or same site where Mark Twain camped while in the area. As you say, there's a lot of history (and still gold!) in those hills.

For penance I offer these shots made the last time I visited Bodie and the surrounding region.

On the idea of ghost towns....
    I can't remember the name of the semi ghost town north of Owens lake...
    Is it Keeler?
    Or Cerro Gordo?

Cerro Gordo. I was there 14 months ago. Difficult road to get there, nice view from the top but we didn't see much because of all the smoke in the air. It's owned by one guy. There is a caretaker that we talked to for a while. It didn't have the kind of images I was looking for, but it has an interesting history.

John

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    It's a mistake to avoid Bodie just because it has been discovered by the photography world. Unlike Silverton, which I have never been to or Calico which I have, Bodie is real ghost town and the largest remaining in the US.

Gold is being successfully mined just over the hill from the train station and the mining company tried to buy the mineral rights to mine Bodie itself a few years back. They were rebuffed back then but California is in a financial jam and the price of gold is currently hovering around $1,000/oz and expected to go much higher - $2,000/oz is being mentioned. Go while Bodie is still there.
    Yes I realize this now. With the information everyone has provided including Jim Galli's photographs, I plan on visiting Bodie, the Chemung Mine, Conway Ranch, Dechambeau Ranch, and Bennettville.

By the way, I would highly recommend Silverton, both the active community and the ghost town, Animas Forks, 12 miles in on Animas Forks Road (unpaved). If you have a high clearance vehicle you can continue on the dirt roads through some high elevation passes-Cinammon Pass to the east (above 12,000'), California Pass to the west and Engineer Pass (12,800') to the north.

-Daniel

Animas Forks is in a very nice setting. The road from Silverton is not that difficult and only really requires a high clearance vehicle. Going up higher from Animas Forks requires 4wd WITH a low range because the 4wd roads are extremely steep. And if you go during popular times on those 4wd roads you may need to back up a significant distance to permit oncoming traffic to pass. It's not all that difficult but you should be aware of what you're in for.

Most of the town of Animas Forks is gone, but the 6 or 7 structures still standing provide some very good photo ops. You may think it would be easy to be there alone, but the site always seems to have traffic.

John