Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to Kings Canyon Tomorrow

Dave Karp

Going to Kings Canyon Tomorrow

I am pretty excited about going to Kings Canyon tomorrow, as I have never been there. The 4x5 and WP camera are joining my family as we spend the week there. The 5x7 back might also join us. I just hope that I remember the film, and the tripod, and . . . .

Re: Going to Kings Canyon Tomorrow

Have fun
    Take a short hike up a nearly flat trail to Mist Falls. Go to the top(on the trail) and look south...

Dave Karp

Thanks Don. Will check it out.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I will be visiting the forum before we leave tomorrow morning.

Checked my 5x7 holders, 8 are already loaded, so the 5x7 back is definitely joining us!

Have a great time---there is a lot of beauty to photograph in the Park!
    I took my Scouts up there for our Pack Hike this month and had a great time. There is a great deal of variety to be seen in landscapes---from semi arid with Century plants, as well as lush, fern carpeted redwood forests to classic California granite, waterfalls, caverns, remnants of logging operations and snowy peaks.
    Enjoy!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Terence

Not to thread-jack, but . . . what's the park (and Sequoia NP) like in October? I might be heading out there the week of Columbus Day.

Dave Karp

Thanks John,

We are leaving in a few minutes.

It is film holder madness here. Taking 2 cameras and three formats is a bit of madness, but heck, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McDonagh View Post
    Not to thread-jack, but . . . what's the park (and Sequoia NP) like in October? I might be heading out there the week of Columbus Day.
    October is a great time to visit KCNP/SNP! If you're lucky you'll catch some autumn colors. Mineral King would be a good bet if you don't mind the slow and curvey road getting there.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Actually, at least 95% of Kings Canyon Park is backcountry with no road access, and
    the heart of it doesn't even have trail access. When you drive in you reach a fork in
    the road between both Sequoia and Kings Canyon. A single visitor permit pays for
    both. There are giant sequoia groves near the intersection. When you drive down the
    hill toward Cedar Grove, there is a place near Yucca Point where you can see the
    highest river drop in the country, as well as the deepeset canyon (the Middle Fork of
    the Kings - about twice the depth of the Grand Canyon). Unfortunately, you can also
    get smoke and haze this time of year, so a red filter would be handy with black and
    white film to cut through the haze. The bottom of the road at Cedar Grove can be
    hot so take plenty of water (don't drink out of the creek!). If you have extra days,
    Boyden Cave and Crystal Cave are interesting, and you can take the branch road in
    Sequoia to Morro Rock and a nice view of the Great Western Divide.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Actually, at least 95% of Kings Canyon Park is backcountry with no road access, and
    the heart of it doesn't even have trail access.
    Yes, for me the most spectacular parts of the park are those near the Sierra crest. That where Ansel Adams took the images that convinced FD Roosevelt to approve Kings Canyon National Park - although FDR knew that he would never personally get to see those scenes himself. To this effect, Ansel sent a portfolio to the secretary of the interior, who showed it to FDR. However, FDR decided to keep the porfolio for himself ! My favorite in Kings Canyon is the Dusy Basin area, which is accessed from Bishop.

Drew Wiley

Terence - October is a pleasant month. You do have to be aware of the possibility of
    sneak snowstorms. These are very unlikely to close the highway so early in the
    season, because it doesn't climb very high. But if you venture onto the trails be
    certain to carry a parka and have a good jacket or sweater along. Oct and Nov are
    notorious for balmy weather which can change very suddenly. The nights can be
    crisp and unless you have accommodations you will want a decent sleeping bag.
    The spot QT mentioned - Dusy Basin - is marvelous in the fall, but requires a
    minimum of an overnight backpack and involves an 11000 pass from the east side.
    The last time I was there in the fall there was a light snowstorm and a pack of
    coyotes was giving a howl which just kept echoing and echoing off the sheer walls
    of the adjacent Palisades, some of which are over 14000 ft. Even though I grew up
    very close to King Can, there are still sections of it I have never visited. I had to
    climb the Goddard Divide three separate times to get the light I wanted over the
    Enchanted Gorge. Spending the night on a ledge two feet wide with the Sinar
    propped up on a rock barely bigger was a memorable experience.