Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip

Road Trip

I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a road trip in the summer of 2004. I know it's a long way off, but I figure it can't hurt to start planning now, espe cially since I've got to start saving now... Right now, I'm just feeling out id eas for a possible midpoint destination somewhere in the US or Canada. I'll pro bably be starting out in Missouri, though I may have to swing through Ohio to pi ck up a friend. The limits I'm setting myself are no more than 30 days or 10,00 0 miles driving. When I say I'm going on a road trip, I mean a loooong road tri p.

Given the chance to go on a road trip anywhere in a 5,000 mile radius of Columbi a, Missouri, where would you go? The one idea I've had so far is Yellowknife, N orthwest Territories, Canada. Are there any particular spots in North America t hat you think would make an appropriate goal for a LF road trip? Any suggestio ns in terms of locations, logistics, traveling long distances shooting LF, and a ny other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Road Trip

Why not follow Lewis and Clark? 2004 is just about 200 years since their trip.

Road Trip

Follow the coast road (US Highway#1)...Or travel the national road (route 40). (What would be a similar highway in Canada???)

Never put your tires on a highway with more than 2 lanes, never eat a meal at a McSomethings, never drive over 50mph, stop at least 1 time every hour, 200 miles a day maximum, drive around any city over 5,000 people, avoid all national parks, and don't be too shy to stop and say hello!

Do the Walker Evans and James Agee, "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men", type of tour... I think too many people travel too fast to get to the "GOOD SPOTS" (national parks), and never take the time to see the Americas.

Well Dave I guess that's about my 6cents worth... -Dave

Road Trip

Dave,

I don't know which is more important to you - the journey or the photos - but my in experience I have found it best to drive to a spot with many subject types, or one you particularly like, and spend as much time at that spot as possible. Really get to know the area, and your best photos will come after you've been there a while. Take the scenic route there and a different one back of course, but remember that using a large format camera when your driving is probably illegal in most states (ie you can't take photos while you're in the driver's seat).

Wouldn't you like to be the one who says "You should have been here last week - the weather/foliage/wildlife/girls were magnificent!", rather than the person being told? By staying in the one area, you increase your chance of catching the conditions you want and knowing where to go in that area when those conditions arise.

Of course, this is all invalid if the road trip is the important part!

Good luck,

Graeme

Road Trip

David:

I would try to avoid a "destination-based" trip. Instead, focus on a specific type of subject matter or, more broadly, some type of concept or theme. Then let the concept drive your destination. At the end of your trip you will hopefully end up with a more coherent body of work.

You could also try something random, such as a series of dart tosses at a map. (How would John Cage have planned a road trip?)

Finally, you might try depicting the road itself or documenting your relationship to it. This approach has been taken by a number of photographers and, with a lttle research, you can look at plenty of inspirational material in advance of your trip.

Road Trip

Lots of good suggestions- thanks much. I like the idea of avoiding "destination based" road trip as well, but we'll need some place to stop along the way to call my mother and tell her we got "there" ok. I'll just make it up as I go. The trip itself is pretty important, but the photos are too. One of my favorite places to take pictures I've ever been is the Sangre De Christo range, so perhaps that would be a good general area to go. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Road Trip

Tops on my list are Yoho National Park and the Pacific Northwest (Olympic Mountain range and Vancouver Island). The mountains in Yoho are by far the most spectacular I have ever seen. The only problem will be not using up all of your film. They will surely give you wide angle lens a workout. The old growth forests of the Pacific Northwest are equally amazing but require a completely different way of seeing. You frequently cannot see the forest for the trees. The pictures that you take here will be less obvious and require more work but will be worth it. I thought Carmannah Valley on the coast of Vancouver Island was particularly good. Either place is awe inspiring. As for the eastern part of the continent there are alot of 'nice' places but nothing that really knocks my socks off.

Road Trip

David,

I've driven alone on two-lane roads to all fifty states, and one of my favorite places in America is the Sandhills of Nebraska. This is ranchland, privately owned but accessible to you if you politely ask permission of the owners. Or there is good shooting to be done from the roads and state parks. The Sandhills are a huge tract of grass- covered dunes that cover a quarter of the state. There are numerous small ponds with interesting birds, and treeless vistas of rolling yellow hills (or green, depending on the rainfall that year). Even if you don't stop to photograph, the drive out Route 2 through this area is wonderful-- long swooping curves, very little traffic. You can stay in the town of Alliance which has several motels.

Ask your fellow Columbian, William Least Heat-Moon, about the underappreciated glories of the prairie grasslands. Better yet, read his book PrairyErth before you go. And definitely read his book Blue Highways, now. It will help you plan your trip.

Road Trip

If you decide to come down this way (the Sangre de Cristos), send me a note. I've been here since '75 and can make suggestions etc. One thing to think about is that right across the Rio Grande from the Sangre de Christos is what is known as the Valles Caldera, a huge tract of land high up in the Jemez Mountains which was just now acquired by the federal gov't after years of negotiation and legal wrangling. It is about the most virginal virgin alpine forest in the West. As of now, the only access is by pre-arranged tours, but it will open up some by 2004. I think there's a website. -jeff buckels (albuquerque nm)

Road Trip

Head over to New England and then go up to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.