Thread: Fuji Acros

Fuji Acros

After a bit of testing, these are my reference times for Fuji Acros in Rodinal 1:50 @ 20C (4x5 sheets, combi tank):

N+1: EI80: 13 mins

N: EI50: 11 mins

N-1: EI32: 9 mins

I'm interested in others' experience with this film in other developers, e.g D76, or PMK - perhaps they could be shared on this thread?

Fuji Acros

David,

My N processing for ISO 100 is 10 min and 10 sec0nds in a Jobo 2300 with 25 roations a minute .... dilution 1:50. That would track pretty well with your time in the combi tank.

Fuji Acros

i would try it in ildord dd or pyro hd.

shot at 100, 13 mins in 1:1:100 pyro hd developed in combi tanks yields a very nice neg.

good luck, and be sure to share your findings!

scott

Eric Biggerstaff

Fuji Acros

David,

I use this film a great deal and enjoy it.

I rate it at 64 and develop in Kodak Xtol stock for a "Normal" time of 9 minutes. It is processed in a Jobo 3010 tank.

Hope you enjoy it.

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Fuji Acros

Acros rated ISO 64, Xtol 1:1 70F, 400ml in a series 2521 tank, 2509 reel, 6 min 30 sec, slower than normal rpm.

Fuji Acros

Acros in Tmax-RS 1+9, 75F/24C in a Jobo 3010 drum, normal rotation speed

n-2 3:15
    n-1 3:45
    n 4:25
    n+1 5:15
    n+2 6:45
    n+3 9:30

I don't know what you folks are doing differently that you're getting such long development times (e.g. 9 minutes in XTOL stock).

My rough normal times (based on testing with development times so long that make me uneasy about extrapolation) are incredibly short (e.g. D76 1+1, 75f, Jobo 3010 drum gives me 3:35 for a normal development time).

What am I missing? I hate running film at temps below 75F because my cold water is about 75f in the summer.

Fuji Acros

There are several things going on, Paul, that could account for that. First off, 68F -> 75F is no small step and usually cuts the required temperature to 2/3rds what it would be at 68F (reference: Ilford time/temp chart). Second, T-Max RS is a very active developer, and Rodinal 1:50 really isn't. Finally you're using continuous agitation, which according to Kodak's D76 data sheet give new times that are anywhere between 60-100% of the time for the same temperature and same film using hand agitation. Other possibilities: maybe the other people in this thread are developing for AZO or alternative processes (both of which require higher contrast and thus much higher development times than for enlarging) but that's uncommon for 4x5 as I understand it, and anyway their times aren't that far out from mine and I don't do AZO or alternative processes.

I can come up with three alternative explanations, if the above do not suffice: maybe the rotation rate on your Jobo is very high, maybe there's something funny about your water, or maybe you have a very different idea of what normal development is from what I do and from what Fuji does. Fuji's datasheet at 75F gives 5 1/2 minutes for XTOL stock, 5 1/4 minutes for D76 stock, and 7 1/4 for D76 1:1, but I believe those figures are all for hand agitation.

For what it's worth, I've found 9:30 at 68F in XTOL 1+1 to be good for normal contrast. I only shoot Acros in rollfilm, so I haven't created N+ or N- times.

Fuji Acros

Graham-

As a rule of thumb, I expect that dropping the temp from 75F to 68F should reduce the development times by about 40% - close enough to your proposed 2/3rd that we are in agreement.

Yes, Tmax-RS is very active. But I see very short times with other developers (D-76, XTOL, Microdol-X) as well.

Yes, continuous agitation will shorten times.

But I'm still left with the impression that I'm getting MUCH shorter times than everyone else. Mind you, the negatives look fine, and in general I prefer short times to long ones (I bore easily) as long as I can maintain consistency, but when you find your process doesn't match what others are getting, it creates this vague sense of unease that there's some hidden variable that will vary some day, and ruin some film.

Well, the Acros development times are on the list of things to do on a rainy day. Eventually I'll know what the deal is...

Fuji Acros

Rollo pyro, 70F, Iso100, Jobo 3010, 4X5 sheets, N=8min