Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "Petzval" Photoshop Filter or Action?

Re: "Petzval" Photoshop Filter or Action?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Nikon and others have lens modeling software, which works by altering known design parameters and remapping a capture. There is also third party software for this, to cover other than Nikon lenses, though I do not immediately recall the name.
    DXO.com

They have modules for various popular cameras and lenses, but no Petzval modules.

...Mike

I decided to show the progress of software Petzval emulation after the last post 2 years ago! Seriously, a young friend that has helped me shoot photos for years had this on her website. Conclusion? A lot of youth like the retro look, but don't know what they're looking for. If you'd like to see some real Petzval shots, there are over 2,000 on the Petzval Photographs Flickr group I started back in 2008: http://www.flickr.com/groups/868027@N25/

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    I've had the same thought... I've never met Jim Galli, but it would be funny if "he" turned out to an adolescent girl with a pierced tongue who likes the SciFi channel and getting middle aged men all lathered up about Petzval's and Heliar's...
    Maybe the ford model T is really her mothers Taurus wagon, the letters aurus were lost in a Mall fender bender while texting.
    Oooops, sorry, just noticed how old the original post was.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

But Garrett, you can clearly see in the picture that it's a clear-center blur filter. The ring of clarity is quite evident.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

retrogrouchy

And no catseyes.

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    I've had the same thought... I've never met Jim Galli, but it would be funny if "he" turned out to an adolescent girl with a pierced tongue who likes the SciFi channel and getting middle aged men all lathered up about Petzval's and Heliar's...
    Maybe the ford model T is really her mothers Taurus wagon, the letters aurus were lost in a Mall fender bender while texting.
    Oooops, sorry, just noticed how old the original post was.
    That's OK! In mean time I've met Mr. Galli, which shattered the adolescent girl image. Jim's a good man, from whom I've learned a lot... though it is kind of fun to think of him with a pierced tongue, dancing to Lady Gaga in the Nevada desert!
    Last edited by Jay Decker; 6-Jul-2012 at 21:40.

That's OK! In mean time I've met Mr. Galli, which shatter the adolescent girl image. Jim's a good man, from whom I've learned a lot... though it is kind of fun to think of him with a pierced tongue, dancing to Lady Gaga in the Nevada desert!
    Hey Jay! You and me man. Burning Man 2012. Better get to work on the 8X10 camera permits right away. OTOH, only 1 or 2 in 100,000 people with pierced tongues know what an 8X10 camera is. We could set up a booth with a sign that says "this wooden machine will suck out your souls" and they'd stand in line and pay our fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Hey Jay! You and me man. Burning Man 2012. Better get to work on the 8X10 camera permits right away. OTOH, only 1 or 2 in 100,000 people with pierced tongues know what an 8X10 camera is. We could set up a booth with a sign that says "this wooden machine will suck out your souls" and they'd stand in line and pay our fee.
    Oooh yeahhhh! I'm so there! Maybe we can get photos to post here that will put us right up there with Frank, or even, gandolfi!

Woah, crazy to see this old thread pop up again...

It strikes me that these days, the Lytro could be the ideal camera for a very good Petzval modeling plugin. When you have the whole light field, you can do pretty crazy things. Currently they're sort of wasting the potential, as you can only emulate a "perfect" wide aperture lens, which is a little boring. But theoretically you could use any lens design to introduce its specific "defects" and character.

They should really get on that, right after they do autofocus video

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Woah, crazy to see this old thread pop up again
    You're telling me. I posted on this back in 2009, didn't really come back to Lfforums til last week. I see this thing floating around. Now I know there is a god.