Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 Lenses for Wooden Sculpture

4x5 Lenses for Wooden Sculpture

Oh, I forgot to ask Bob: Sinar mentions a "Macro Sinaron" in 180 mm, and also a n "Apo Sinaron" as optimized for 1:1, but not in 180mm. Am I correct that you're talking about the Macro Sinaron?

What is the straight Rodenstock (i.e. non-Sinar branded) version, and what are t he differences, if any?

Rodeanstock = Apo Macro Sironar in 120mm and 180mm. Apo Macro Sironar Digital in 120mm.

Discontinued are 210 and 300mm Macro Sirobar,

Sinar uses there own names for these,

"Bob, in a related thread (September 20, 2001) you wrote" For ratios from 1:5 to 5:1 the Apo Macro Sironar (that is what the Sinar lens is) is best." Does this mean that the lense you are recommending to me is the Apo Macro Sironar 180mm? The ratios seem correct (if my thinking is correct)...This lens would be optimal for 3D objects from 60cm high down to one inch high." Yes if yout camera has enough bellows for this ratio.

How about a 150mm or 210mm G-claron. These lenses are designed for a 1:1 ratio. They are single coated, but flare should not be a problem in the studio. Since the subject is a foot or less, I would go for shorter lenses, even as short as 150mm.

"How about a 150mm or 210mm G-claron. " Yes if you are doing flat art at f22 No if you are doing 3 dimensional originals the Apo Macro series will be superior and function optimally at more apertures then a process lens.

they will also be much easier to focus as they are faster to begin with.

Mr. Salomon, could you explain why a lens such as the G-Claron is not suitable for 3-dimensional objects? I know they are often times referred to as 'flat field' lenses. Are you suggesting that somehow the 'curved' field would match the 3-d objects?

Yjey were designed for making seperation negatives from color art work for graphic art reproduction.

They simply do not reproduce 3 dimensional close range art as well as a macro lens.

Trying is much more effective then describing. That is why a relationship with a dealer that rents is so valuable.

You have to try it yourself.