Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free National Park admission this weekend!

Free National Park admission this weekend!

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dave Karp

Re: Free National Park admission this weekend!

Where are you going?

Gee, my annual pass gets me in free too, but then I've already paid for it. And if anyone goes to Mt. Rainier NP, I'd sure love to hear your experience.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Drew Wiley

Good weekend to stay away from the popular parks! I'm headed for Pt Reyes, which is
    one nat'l park (Natl Seashore) where admission is always free!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    ...And if anyone goes to Mt. Rainier NP, I'd sure love to hear your experience.
    I went to Spray Park three weeks ago when the avalanche lilies were at peak. Last week the lilies were down to 10% of their former glory, and now they are probably all going to seed. Last week the lupine was quite good - peak or just pre-peak I would guess. Approximately 0.5 miles after you enter Spray Park from Mowich there is a stream just a few feet left (north) of the trail. Hop over the stream and travel north about 150 feet and the lupine fields will come into view. You'll also find a nice reflecting pond in that direction.

The evening light in Spray Park is fickle because of the ridge line to the north.

Have fun!

(The mosquitos were also at peak last week.)

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Where are you going?
    Actually I just returned from the King Tut exhibit in SF!
    Yosemite in October and the eastern sierras are in the cards if and when I get the time.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dave Karp

Yosemite in October sounds great. I am hoping to be there in late December or early January.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Yosemite in October sounds great. I am hoping to be there in late December or early January.

It has become sort of tradition (near tradition?) Columbus Day week end or there abouts depending on the calender is usually the close of the season for Camp 16 in Yosemite Valley. Beautiful weather, hardly any water in Yosemite Falls though, and on some parts of the Merced you can walk across it. Sometimes there's a bit of autumn color but---no crowds! The roads to Tuolumne and Glacier are still open too.
    It's kind of a "last hurrah" until winter hits.
    My family has camped in Yosemite Valley every summer since 1925 for two weeks (my grandfather's first car was a 1926 Buick bought just for the trips) until the 1970s when it became just too crowded, so now that I'm calling the shots, I moved the date to the autumn after school starts, so by neccesity we only get to go for a long week end---but oh what a long week end!

Of course I have plenty of other excuses for going to Yosemite during the year, but autumn is the "official" family camping trip---the kids look foreward to it!
    Oh yeah---the mosquitos are generally scarce but other critters like foraging deer and bears are prevalent.

went to steam town in scranton Pa. stay tuned for pics....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Went to the Grand Canyon Wed and Thurs, it was a bit stormy. A fine break in otherwise clear weather. Flashed my annual pass but now I can get a lifetime pass for ten bucks. Turned 62 last month, probably the only good thing about it. No wait the social security, I almost forgot !