Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nudes in LF lenses

Re: Nudes in LF lenses

4x5 really isn't that unusual in a lot of commercial fashion and beauty photography. People like Arthur Elgort and Steven Meisel and Paolo Roversi all use 4x5 and 8x10 all the time.

Jock Sturges' work is probably gong to show you the biggest differences between shooting large format and medium format.

And the classics -- Edward Weston, Wynn Bullock, and a slew of Californian bohemians. Not to mention thousands of gay bodybuilding images.

A lot of the rationale for shooting large format "people" naked or clothed, isn't (only) about the image quality so much as the experience of shooting -- people respond differently to different cameras and the required pace of shooting.

Sanders McNew (Google) mixs 5x7 with 120 for his portraits, you can see a comparison with his work.

Then of course there is the whole school of people shooting vintage portrait lenses and limiting the depth of field to a narrow section by shooting wide open and/or tilting the lens.... large format does that better.

My work really isn't "nudes". There are a few drunk girls with their clothes off or some such nonsense, but I don't go out to shoot capital N "Nudes" on purpose very often. My friends are naked sometimes, but nude is too fancy a word and I don't like the connotation ;-)

But if you just want some naked chick to slouch over a tree in some misty artsty-fartsy pose then large format is the way to go!

Yes the real question is what can I do using LF in Nudes photography. When I will find some recently made photos (lets say 1990-2008 made) I would be shure, that my movement from MF to LF was correct.

And about photographing chick's, well I'v got about 300 Nude sessions Made in fiew years ago Using 35mm and MF. And I Had som good photos, my friend's took all my paper work's and right now I stayed wyth only negatives.

I'm working In nudes and fashion business for fiew years. Not for money but just learning the photographing and making portfolios for young model's. I'm not professional photographer but let's say I'm working for my Name and my motto is:

"...crash digitals, use analogs..."

So Frank You want to say, that LF is still good working horse for commercial fashion business ?

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

I like the way Frank can blend the human form with architecture, the master

PS.. the Mamyia RB or RZ are the best all round studio cameras in MF and I would imagine a "super"speed graphic with a grip and working rangefinder/would be the best 4x5 all round studio camera

Once upon a time, Playboy did all of the centerfolds with 8x10 in a Deardorf with (I think) a 14" commercial Ektar. It doesn't get any better than that, but once again; it's really the lighting that makes the art. The camera is the tool to record that light, no matter what format. 8x10 just did it better.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I see, after 4x5 I will work on 8x10 for just made it better :P

How much strobe power do you have in the studio?

Well I've got the 2 flash light's and they Are 600Ws eatch, and than I've got the photo non flash lights (4lamps) eatch is about 500W and 5500K of light color (i think it's proper name). The 4 lamp's is modulating the power of lighting like flashes form 1/32 part's to 1. I'm not shure if my english is good or not, but I thik that's all infos I culd give you right now.

I shoot almost all my nudes exclusively in LF. Initially it was because I simply prefer shooting LF. Now, I've become a petzval addict and am shooting primarily with petzval lenses, either in 5x7 or 4x5 format. Its a bit of a pain in the ass but I find it to be well worth the effort.

Kim Weston