Thread: new

new

good morning everyone I am new to this forum and trying to buy my first camera. If II can out bid some of the guys there. I have abid on a toyo 45f camera . Is this a fair camera to start out with thanx

Re: new

It is a decent camera. However, you may want to look at a folding "field" type camera such as the Toyo 45ax. It is easier to carry and set up on the run. But, if you primarily will do your work in the studio the "f" is the way to go.

Welcome to group therepy!! Heck, any camera is a good one to start on!! Being a monorail fan due to the full movements available on them, I've never worried much about portability and ease of setup; but, then, I do mainly architectural work with the big cameras. The 45F is a versitile piece of equipment that will take you a long ways...have fun with it!

I like the idea of starting with a monorail because it enables you to explore all the advantages of large format cameras. If you eventually decide you want something more portable, you can probably sell the monorail for close enough to what you paid for it to count as very cheap rent. On the other hand, you might decide the monorail suits your needs very well.

Paul Cocklin

Welcome to the asylum. It doesn't really matter which 4x5 you get, as it's just a stepping stone to 8x10, and then 11x14.

thank you all for the great welcome unfortunately I cant seem to out bid anyone on ebay to get me a camera. I will keep trying blueberrydesk how'd did you know thanx

Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information here and no lack of advice. As to the latter, it will be of more use to you if you let us know what type of photographs you wish to make.

While it is true that your first purchase will probably not be your last, it will be a more pleasant experience if your “learner” camera is reasonably suited to the use you have in mind.

Jerome

I am looking to do landscape maybe some portrait if the people will hold still long enough pretty much everything . I know that probably not the right answer but who knows I have bid on a sinar f camera hoping that I will have better luck I have also bid on a field camera a tachihara fg after the suggestions here couple of days and maybe finally

Hi,all.I am new to this forum too.