Thread: filters for polaroid b&w and type 56?

filters for polaroid b&w and type 56?

The title says it all, which filters do you use for the various b&w and type 56 films?

What is your experience?

Do you ever use CC filters in place of the 'normal' b&w filters, in example, lighter yellows or reds or greens?

Re: filters for polaroid b&w and type 56?

The problem are not the filters but the films because Polaroid films are no longer available.

I don't know type 56 but with panchromatic films like type 55 and 57 one can use filters like #8 yellow (+ 1 f stop), #15 deep yellow (+ 1 1/3 f stop), #25 red (+ 2 1/2 f stop) etc. All filter factors for daylight.

With CC filters bellow "50" you will see almost no effect.

Peter

Thanks Peter for the info. How do "50" and plus cc filters compare to standard filters, like the #8 or #25?

I am shooting my own small stash of real Polaroid and will try the Fuji stuff soon so this is why I posed the question. I've never used b&w filters with the stuff and I understand that the film can react differently than the 'normal' film, such as Tri-x or PanF.

I've also never used cc filters for b&w work but I have a fair collection now-a-days to play with.

I suppose the title should have read, "Filters for b&W instant film and type 56" as I use the term 'polaroid' to mean all instant films, sort of like some folks use "hoover" as a generic or verb for "vacuum" or "vacuum cleaner", ie, "Go hoover the bedroom" or
    "The hoover is busted", instead of a reference to the specific maker or model, "Hoover".

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    Thanks Peter for the info. How do "50" and plus cc filters compare to standard filters, like the #8 or #25?
    #8 and #25 are "edge" filters, all wavelenghts bellow 450nm resp. 580nm will be blocked. But with an e. g. CC50R filter one gets a red hue. Because this filters are to compensate color casts and not to block certain wavelenghts.
    I am shooting my own small stash of real Polaroid and will try the Fuji stuff soon so this is why I posed the question. I've never used b&w filters with the stuff and I understand that the film can react differently than the 'normal' film, such as Tri-x or PanF.
    The Polaroid panchromatic spectral sensitivity is more or less the same as Tri-X etc. So the effect with filters is nearly the same.
    I've also never used cc filters for b&w work but I have a fair collection now-a-days to play with.
    Have fun!
    I suppose the title should have read, "Filters for b&W instant film and type 56" as I use the term 'polaroid' to mean all instant films, sort of like some folks use "hoover" as a generic or verb for "vacuum" or "vacuum cleaner", ie, "Go hoover the bedroom" or
    "The hoover is busted", instead of a reference to the specific maker or model, "Hoover".
    I've used also Polaroid type 46 roll film up to 8x10" film but never type 56. And always with a camera and never with a vacuum cleaner.

Peter