Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Envelope System for Quickload, ReadyLoad and Polaroid Holders

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: New Envelope System for Quickload, ReadyLoad and Polaroid Holders

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Doesn't GPS stand for, Ground Positioning Satellite?
    When one of my maiden Aunties went to her local Radio Shack to get a GPS for her car, she asked what "GPS" meant. She was told by the clerk that it means, "Going Places Safely".

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    I have just started negotiations to manufacture a film envelope system that can be used in Quickload holders (and should also work in Readyload and Polaroid holders).
    I'd be interested, Joanna... but a lot closer to a committed buyer if the compatability with 545 holder were a hard requirement rather than a 'desirement" as you have stated.

lazy retired bum

While I hate dust as much as the next person, this interests me for the convenience. When I printed in the darkroom, I had to spot each print. Now that I scan, I spot once and I'm done, so dust is arguably a bit less frustrating.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    It doesn't take much effort or care to keep film clean to my standards when reloading the Quickchange cartridges in a changing bag. I don't see why it would be any more difficult in an envelope system, unless you make the envelopes out of compacted tumble dryer fluff.

The idea of using multiple sheet film holders is not new. Grafmatic, Quickchange are just a few of them. Quickloads have the great advantage of dust free film, unlike the proposed system - Joanna and me we agree about this point. Some photographers used the system just for this point and the effortless film loading.
    While metal and plastic multi-sheet film holders were in use and later the paper Quickloads too, nobody went into manufacturing re-loadable paper film holders? Why? The weight advantage was always there - or was it? The reason was that paper holders, especially used many times, produce a plenty of paper dust. Loading film into paper holders (or envelopes) introduces more dust on film than doing the same with metal or plastic multi-sheet film holders. To make a reusable paper holder as dust free as metal o plastic holders you would need to use special hardened paper - but then you can make them directly of plastic with almost no weight disadvantage... Quickchange decided for plastic...
    While somebody doesn't care, any user of paper re-loadable sheet film holders will soon realize that the advantage of Quickloads dust free film is taken away. Joanna knows that. Some don't care, some do.

Now you're just repeating yourself.

For my use the dust-free aspect of factory packaged Quickloads and Readyloads is almost entirely moot. I'm after savings in weight, and even more critically, bulk.

I'll wait and see what Johanna produces, and if it fits my needs. I agree that dust is a *possible* problem, but I don't see why that should discourage her from trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Now you're just repeating yourself.

For my use the dust-free aspect of factory packaged Quickloads and Readyloads is almost entirely moot. I'm after savings in weight, and even more critically, bulk.

I'll wait and see what Johanna produces, and if it fits my needs. I agree that dust is a *possible* problem, but I don't see why that should discourage her from trying.
    Repeating myself? Only if you read my thoughts... The reason of not manufacturing re-loadable paper holders and choosing rather metal of plastic I explained only once... Did you see it repeated? When?

I don't think Joanna gets discouraged by something she already knows...

Good luck! I think that you're doing a wonderful thing!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

None of Joanna's posts in this thread say the envelopes will be paper. Were I embarking on such a project, given that they will be reusable rather than disposable, I'd be investigating tough, electrically conductive plastic envelopes. No paper dust and no static to attract other dust. A white area would easily accept notes from a "Sharpie" pen that could be removed by a simple isopropyl alcohol wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    To make a reusable paper holder as dust free as metal o plastic holders you would need to use special hardened paper - but then you can make them directly of plastic with almost no weight disadvantage... Quickchange decided for plastic...
    The envelopes are not designed to be re-loadable, just as the original Quickloads weren't, because of the dust problems; and plastic is not desirable due to its inherent ability to attract dust by static electricity.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ... I'd be investigating tough, electrically conductive plastic envelopes. No paper dust and no static to attract other dust. A white area would easily accept notes from a "Sharpie" pen that could be removed by a simple isopropyl alcohol wipe.
    It had crossed my mind to use such a plastic but I decided to opt for the added value of being able to convert the envelope for archival storage, rather than a reusable, and considerably more expensive, and possibly increasingly less reliable, envelope.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG