Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you sell your work in a Cooperative or Vanity Gallery?

Would you sell your work in a Cooperative or Vanity Gallery?

With the current state of the economy... Would you sell your work in an Artist Owned Gallery that charges a small monthly fee? Often termed a Cooperative or Vanity gallery...

Thanks,
    Dan King

Re: Would you sell your work in a Cooperative or Vanity Gallery?

If you want the exposure, why not? In many communities these are the only galleries that exist. If properly run, they are an asset to both the artists and communities they serve.

OTOH if structure is lacking, the whole experience could be akin to trying to herd cats (mean cats!) But these tend not to exist for very long.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

We have a few of those galleries here. Some take the artists money and do not really work to sell them. They are already being paid so why do more work. Others will work to sell your work.

I am cautious because of experience with a couple that did not work to sell anything, they left the work on the wall and if it sold good, if not also good. Make sure your work will be given a good chance to sell, otherwise the gallery is getting paid to have more art on the wall.

If I could make enough money to cover the fee and to justify the time spent working at the gallery. In other words, probably not. Don't have the money. Don't have the time.

--Gary

Quote Originally Posted by memorris View Post
    We have a few of those galleries here. Some take the artists money and do not really work to sell them. They are already being paid so why do more work. Others will work to sell your work.

I am cautious because of experience with a couple that did not work to sell anything, they left the work on the wall and if it sold good, if not also good. Make sure your work will be given a good chance to sell, otherwise the gallery is getting paid to have more art on the wall.
    What kind of work should the owner/staff do to "work" to sell the art?
    I'm curious, if you walked into such a gallery what kind of selling by the gallery would make you more likely to buy? (other than good lighting, information and presentation).

If you can sell your work...why wouldn't you? See the thread on selling to a decorator.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I am a member of a cooperative gallery (LLC -- limited liability corperation). Everyone (~40 members) works in the gallery behind the register 2 to 3 four-hour shifts a month. Plus a few hours/month on a committee. We also pay $60/month to cover the rent. We have been operating for 6 years.

In exchange each member gets 20 square feet or equivilent of space and once a year an expanded show in our Featured Artist Gallery (yes, the FAG), which is a couple walls and 3D space. Cooperative takes 20% commission to operate the Cooperative and to bank 6-months of operation costs in case of emergencies.

Excellent location on the town square. We maintain a professional looking gallery (not a glorified gift shoppe). Over-all sales remain even or up, even with the economy down.

http://www.arcataartisans.com/

Actually, I am on a one-year sabbatical from the cooperative and will be back there starting in June.

It's a business deal just like any other. Do your research and decide whether the pros outweigh the cons and if they do go for it.

Make sure all dealings with the management are in writing. Every single thing must be in a contract. If they tell you that they are just a friendly little place and they don't put things in writing, just walk away. Think of yourself first. It's a business deal. Good luck.

Hello,
    Like Vaughn I also belong to a cooperative gallery in Margaretville NY. See the link:
    http://www.longyeargallery.org/
    Our arrangement is basically the same as what he describes. One additional factor which has not been mentioned is that of participating in an artistic community. I feel like I have gotten new impulses from the association with fellow gallery members. Most of the group are painters and four of us are photographers. I have worked almost exclusively in B&W (mostly large format) for more than 30 years. After being exposed to the work of the other gallery members I started to do some color work and found it very rewarding. I still work primarily in B&W but have expanded my horizens as result of the gallery experience. I just joined in April and have yet to sell anything but I am told that you gradually build up a following and it will eventually start to work. I myself am grateful to be associated with this group even if it may be considered a "vanity gallery". For me the experience has proven to be much more than that.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    What kind of work should the owner/staff do to "work" to sell the art?
    Maintain a list of people who like to collect art of various types. Find art that fits those types. Call those people on the phone and persuade them to buy the art.

That's much more work than standing behind a cash register, but the real work of running a gallery. This could work in a cooperative, with the members bringing together and sharing their customer lists. But the opportunities for turf wars seem high, so the agreements and the purpose must be really clear and receive commitment from everyone.

Not everyone can or should be doing the calling--that should be reserved for those who possess that gift. Those who don't should be willing to carry other loads and let those who do exercise that gift.

I know of a gallery run by a local arts council that follows this model--not really a cooperative but a joint effort. They do pretty well from what I gather, but two things have emerged:

1. They work very hard on the relationships with and between the artists, and despite their best efforts a lot of conflict still occurs, and

2. The members buy a lot from each other. That model only works for rich artists!

Rick "to whom the words 'due diligence' come to mind" Denney