Thread: Epson 4800 Users Chime-in!

Epson 4800 Users Chime-in!

4800 users please give your thoughts on the printer as compared to the 3800. There seems to be a flood of 4800 refurbished printers hitting the market lately. I realize that the 4800 wastes even more ink switching back and forth between the blacks. I'm wondering if the established 3800 work flows, such as Eric Chan's will work just as well with the 4800.

Thanks Much!!

G

Re: Epson 4800 Users Chime-in!

Ok I'll chime in.I have a 4800.It has sat unused for a year up to a couple weeks ago.I fired it up and ran a color bar test print, and it printed it like it was brand new.Every other Epson I've ever owned would choke sitting that long unused.The thing is big, heavy, and tough.BUT!It is definitely not the printer to have if you need to constantly switch between mat and glossy papers (unless your rich and can afford pouring ink down the drain) But if you print primarily on one media type like myself, imho its a great printer.Mines worked flawless now for over three years.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

My 4800 produces fabulous prints. I never switch blacks. I stick with luster or glossy papers. They are a good deal. Epson does get you for the inks (it's their scheme), and I find good deals for carts on ebay.

I'd like to pull the trigger on this printer. What I would like to know if the plethora of information on the 3800 can be applied with the operation of the 4800. Things, like profiling, workflows, etc.

Thanks Guys, please keep the info., coming.

Cheers,

G

Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post
    I'd like to pull the trigger on this printer. What I would like to know if the plethora of information on the 3800 can be applied with the operation of the 4800. Things, like profiling, workflows, etc.

Cheers,

G
    I'm sure it can.The 4800 was designed as a professional grade printer for commercial use.The 3800 has a lesser build quality and was designed more as a high end enthusiast printer, though the output and work flow between the two are pretty much the same.I'm using Harman Gloss FB AI right now with the profile for the 4800 off Harman's website for color, and am using ABW for my black and whites, and couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post

Cheers,

G
    I've had my 4800 for a few years now. i'm using Imageprint 7 with the Phatte Black option (can print both matte and gloss prints without a cartridge change. i've compared prints with other from a 4800, and can't see any difference. It's also worked without clogs

I've recently purchased an HPz3100 printer, and find that i'm not using my 4800 any more. Rather than put a 'for sale' in this thread.. if it's something you might be interested in, contact me offline ( PM )

jim

I use both and for production purposes the 4800 is better, but the 3800 is visibly better in quality and easier to change paper and ink types. Both ink types are built in. The 4800 does have it's issues with clogging heads and needs to be checked often. The 3800 so far hasn't given me a problem in that regard.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Thanks All for your comments. I appreciate the time that each took out of their schedules to post. I think I'll continue my search for a good used 3800.

Thanks Again,

G

I just purchased a factory-refurbished 3800 from Epson for a significant discount over new. But I was also torn by the refurbed 4800's being offered on eBay for $450 at the moment--I might have gone that way except it sold out from under me. But the deal was offered again a day or two back, and I suspect the seller has more. He's sold half a dozen or so at that price in the last couple of weeks.

My 3800 should arrive from the Epson Store on Wednesday--unfortunately I'm traveling until Friday.

Rick "who has had good luck with Epson refurbed stuff so far" Denney

One factor to consider is that the 3800 does not take roll paper if that is of any use to you.