Thread: New Scanner from Aztek

New Scanner from Aztek

I stopped in at Aztek (Irvine, CA) this week and Evan was kind enough to demo their latest development:

http://www.aztek.com/touch%20scan.html

a document scanner (18" to 54") with a great software interface. One can use the wizard (if the person is not a skilled operator) or if one just wants to bang out a quick result. The scan he demo'ed used the wizard and the results were impressive to the point I believe is good for all but the most challenging scans. The wizard guides one step by step from scan to final print / file archive.

Full-on controls are also available. The user interface is very well thought out and straightforward. After his short demo I could run the unit without reading the instructions. The s/w is setup to support touch screen input.

The unit scans a document fast. I didn't time it but it zipped right along. Scan to disk / print / both looked pretty simple. The results were very good.

It's nice to see a scanner company doing well and developing new products. My association with Aztek is only a very happy Premier drum scanner owner.

Regards,

Tim

Re: New Scanner from Aztek

I'm lost. This applies to LF photography... how?

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    I'm lost. This applies to LF photography... how?
    Well, let's see. Aztek is one of only a couple of companies still making and servicing high-end scanners. It is nice to know they have a new product out - even if LF photographers might not use it. OTOH, there are others on the list who might. I remember a thread recently about document scanning (quite contentious, if I remember correctly).

I'd like to see Aztek stay alive, if only to service my scanner when it needs it. So if anyone actually needs this device for some part of their operations, and it matches the price point, etc., please buy it... It isn't altruistic thought, to be sure. However, Aztek is a company that supplies a lot of us... regardless of any frustration one might have with them.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I'd like to see Aztek stay alive, if only to service my scanner when it needs it.
    Me too. But if they take on defense contracts making satellite parts, or come up with a new design for a pickle jar, that information is outside the purview of the LFPhotography forum.

Now if you can tell me that they've improved the log-amps in the Premier, or introduced FFT processing into DPL, let's hear it.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Me too. But if they take on defense contracts making satellite parts, or come up with a new design for a pickle jar, that information is outside the purview of the LFPhotography forum.

Now if you can tell me that they've improved the log-amps in the Premier, or introduced FFT processing into DPL, let's hear it.
    Yea, but what if the message is - we got a new contract and can now pay or bills and will be around to offer you the support you need... and keep making drum scanners, etc.

L
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Do you think this new scanner is safe for original artwork?

I think it would be safe for original artwork but before running an expensive original through I would research that carefully. If I were running it, the surface the artwork is dragged over should be cleaned after each use via a micro-fiber cloth.

I thought the LF group might be interested to scan large artwork for clients. If an inappropriate post, my apologies.

Thanks,

Tim