Thread: new member from Yorkshire says hello

new member from Yorkshire says hello

This is John from Bedale in the Yorkshire Dales UK - just joined today. Previous background chronologically: Studio advertising photography (large format). TV Commercials Director, Documentary filmmaker, Photojournalist (Rwanda, Bosnia, Ziare, Kosovo, Sierra Leone), now college lecturer media. I haven't used a large format camera since 1982 - I don't own one but intend to soon. Any advice on this gratefully accepted. I consider myself a craftsman not an artist - but think some do attain artist status eg Walker Evans. Would like to explore relationship between art and photography. Think David Hockney's quote 'I use any tools to make creative images' sums my current thoughts up. PS: I'm not a technophobe - but at my age feel more comfortable with the simple things in life.

Re: new member from Yorkshire says hello

This is John from Bedale in the Yorkshire Dales UK - just joined today. Previous background chronologically: Studio advertising photography (large format). TV Commercials Director, Documentary filmmaker, Photojournalist (Rwanda, Bosnia, Ziare, Kosovo, Sierra Leone), now college lecturer media. I haven't used a large format camera since 1982 - I don't own one but intend to soon. Any advice on this gratefully accepted. I consider myself a craftsman not an artist - but think some do attain artist status eg Walker Evans. Would like to explore relationship between art and photography. Think David Hockney's quote 'I use any tools to make creative images' sums my current thoughts up. PS: I'm not a technophobe - but at my age feel more comfortable with the simple things in life.
    Hi John

Can I suggest, straight away, that you change your username to something other than your email address!!! That is, unless you really like spam messages arriving in your mailbox.

Also would you like to consider joining us on the UKLFPG forums www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum ? We have a few members in your locality and arrange get-togethers, tutorials etc.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Welcome to group therepy, John! You have quite a varied photographic background...hope you enjoy your trip back into the LF world, its a very different way of shooting than the small cameras used by most photojournalists.

John, welcome. Keep an eye on the "For Sale" section here unless you are prepared to pay an arm & a leg for "trendy" L.F. gear in the U.K. In the past three years I've bought two old (but very usable)cameras from Forum members. The first was a superb 5x7 B&J with 4x5 reducing back, bed extension, lensboards and a tilting thingy for $250, the second was a beautiful (to my eyes anyway) old 5x7 Ansco from somewhere between 1907 & 1927 for $100. O.K. yhe P&P costs a bit and the customs screw you but good old usable cameras are available on this forum.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.