Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson v700 bundled software

45-57-617

Epson v700 bundled software

Hi,

I've just purchased an Epson v700. The software included on the Epson disk has a thing called "ICC profiles (Adobe)". Does this mean the scanner is 'profiled'? Could one assume the best? Is the job of profiling now 99% complete? Is a HutchColor target and appropriate software now only going to eek out that last remaining 1% of performance or is it all a bit of a joke and I still need the target to get a remaining 30% of performance?

Anyone measured the performance gained by using the target?

Looking forward to your learnings.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: Epson v700 bundled software

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McLevie View Post
    Hi,

I've just purchased an Epson v700. The software included on the Epson disk has a thing called "ICC profiles (Adobe)". Does this mean the scanner is 'profiled'? Could one assume the best? Is the job of profiling now 99% complete? Is a HutchColor target and appropriate software now only going to eek out that last remaining 1% of performance or is it all a bit of a joke and I still need the target to get a remaining 30% of performance?

No, the scanner is not profiled in any way shape or form. I suggest you go to http://www.targets.coloraid.de/ and select the target(s) for the film you are planning on scanning. Then you will need appropriate software, like Monaco EZColor to actually make the profiles.

Of course, you can use generic profiles but you will still have to compensate for the colour differences that the different film bases give. Adobe profiles are only really any good for attaching to files that are going to be viewed on the web.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

45-57-617

Thanks Joanna,

Excellent. More CapEX! (not)

It must be a poor attempt by Epson then.

Rgds,

Steve

45-57-617

Furthermore,

I have previously contacted Wolf Faust of Coloraid.de in preparation for the new scanner. I believe he offers a very good product at an ethical price.

However, I also understand it is better to use targets with more swatches (HutchColor) for a more graduated profile - especially in the darker colours. Yes the price is unbelievably high.

Cheers,

Steve

good profiling applies to scanning transparencies and reflective art. If you are primarily scanning negs, efforts towards the best profiles may be a waste of time and money. A well setup monitor, and assurances the scanner software is honoring it and assigning a user selectable working space and preview accordingly, is more important to neg scanning. When scans come into Photoshop looking different than the scanner preview, rest assured the settings are not yet correct.
    For trannies though, good profiles, as well as the above, along with adherence to the settings used to make the profile in the first place, is the viable approach.
    Tyler

It's worth trying Vuescan, it's free to try. https://www.hamrick.com/

I have not used the Epson stuff since getting it. YMMV.

45-57-617

Cheers all,

I am literally in the middle of installing my first ever copy of PhotoShop - the CS3 Extended version - and I have owned VueScan Pro for about 3 years. My learning curve is about to be increased somewhat!

The profiling and colour management areas have me a little baffled at present to be honest.

I'm just trying to get everything at a base level so I can image my computer and then get started.

In the recent past I've been saying to the other half that, "Oh I just need a flatbed scanner ... It'll only cost XYZ ... " And now there's the BetterScanning stuff and the profiling stuff and the Photoshop stuff ... and ... and ...

"When will it end?!" she cries.

Rgds!

However, I also understand it is better to use targets with more swatches (HutchColor) for a more graduated profile - especially in the darker colours. Yes the price is unbelievably high.
    What's more, the HutchColor targets are stated to only be available for Fuji for Velvia; trouble is, they don't state whether that is 50, 100 or 100F.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

According to Data Color, which btw I am indirectly affliated with, Note: (standard disclaimers), one cannot effectively profile a scanner as the light souce changes too rapidly overtime.

My opinion: one can assign a profile to a scanned file and if one color manages ones monitor then that profile should remain constant and emulsions of the same film in theory could be fiarly consistent.

Hi,

Looking forward to your learnings.

Cheers,

Steve

Take a look at the Silverfast (LaserSoft) website- they sell profiles for 35mm/6x7 and (I think) 4x5- I use them for my scanner (with Silverfast, which came with the "Pro" version of the Epson)- good quality. Not sure how/if they work with other software.