Urs,

I am new to contact printing(2-3yrs), well at least when it comes to making a finished print. I, like a number of people have been making contacts for a long time as far as for "contact sheets" in all the formats for the use of checking framing, a rough focus check, exposure and who knows what else. I have done this in all formats thru 8X10. And I must say, that I had this notion that contact printing was for those who could not get access to a good enlarger. I know better now! I had never really looked at photographs as anything other than a way to record information, and I had not been exposed to "Fine Printing" for exhibition. But aprox. 3 years ago I happened into a small exhibit of BW prints. The exhibit was made up of contact prints in all formats from 35mm up to 8x10. Well that exhibit(though I did not really like the subject) is what really turned my head about photography as "ART". And the format that I liked most was 5x7 followed by a set of 35mm contacts, that were like Fine Jewels. And I was told by the owner that the 35mm contacts attracted the most attention(and were the best sellers), because people (non photographers) thought they were the MOST detailed ;-). So like other posts I think 5x7 can be an excellent format for contact printing. And I find myself using more 5x7 and 8x10 over 4x5 for contact printing. So my vote is for it.

Mac